Lee Sandlin Wins North Senior Amateur at Texas Star
The 2013 North Senior Amateur presented by UST Mamiya
concluded on Wednesday at Texas Star Golf Course in Euless. The tough
conditions caused the starting field of 78 to dwindle considerably for the event
and a one-hole playoff was required to determine the eventual champion.
Round 2 greeted players with temperatures that hung in the high
30’s for most of the day. Second round play got underway promptly at 8:00am under
strong winds and light rain. Round 2 was
interrupted about half was through the day when play was suspended do to lightning
for an hour and a half.
Richard Waggoner started the day two shots out of the lead
but determined to make a run. Waggoner shot four over on each side of the
course and carded a 78, the low round of the day and was the early leader in
the clubhouse at 154. Playing immediately behind Waggoner was first round
leader Lee Sandlin. Sandlin started his round with five bogeys on the front
nine, and followed that with five more on his first eight holes on the back
nine. Suspecting that he needed to get at least a shot back on his last hole,
Sandlin went on to birdie the 18th to tie Waggoner in the clubhouse
at 12-over, 154. The two players headed
back to the 18th tee for a sudden death playoff to determine the
champion. In the first and only hole of the playoff, Waggoner’s second shot
went slightly farther than he had hoped on the par five and rolled into the
water hazard crossing the fairway. After dropping, he hit his next shot behind
the hole about 20 feet away for par. Sandlin set himself up perfectly hitting
his third shot from the fairway to within five feet. After Waggoner’s missed
par putt, Sandlin easily two-putted for his par to become the 2013 North Senior
Michael Hastings, one of the four players tied for the lead
after round one, posted a solid round of 82 to pull away from the field in the Super Senior division.
Hastings total of 161 was three shots better than his playing partner, Paul
Nuckolls of Garland. Nuckolls began the round also tied for the lead and shot
85 in the second round to finish alone in second place at 164.
The TGA would like to thank Texas Star for playing a great
host, as well as north regional presenting sponsor UST Mamiya for their support
of amateur golf. Full results for the event can be found at www.txga.org.
- Drop your answers below ⬇️
📆 Event Calendar Available at: https://www.txga.org/event-directory/?event_year=2021&event_month=any
- 12 Players Invited to 2021 Curtis Cup Practice Session The USGA has invited 12 top female amateur golfers to take part in a 2021 Curtis Cup practice session at Lake Nona in Orlando, Fla., later this month. 1 Likes
- 📢 Registration Now Open 📢
TGA Member Clubs/Facilities, don't miss the opportunity to play against each other in our annual team match play competition, the #TexasLeaguePlay! Learn more and sign up today: https://www.txga.org/texas-league-play-general-information-2021 1 Likes
- Lone Star Golf December 2020Champions GC Shines at 75th U.S. Women's Open Facing more challenges, stress and extraordinary complications than imaginable, Champions Golf Course Shines, executing an unforgettable 75th U.S. Women's Open! Follow the link for the full story. #LoneStarGolf
https://qoo.ly/39utfdce2f7-0f4dcfcc7e-# 3 Likes
- Timeline Photos #TGAMembers don't miss this month's 48-hour #TexasTuesday deal! Save up to 50% off TGA-customized #UnderArmour apparel & #ClubGlove bags. Check your email for access to the Texas Tuesday Vault! Not a member? Sign up today! https://buff.ly/3gRu264 #TGAPlayersBox 1 Likes
- #WomenWorthWatching We believe that women's #golf is worth watching. But did you know that of all #sports covered in America, only 4 percent feature #female #athletes?
Join the conversation #WomenWorthWatching
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/women-worth-watching.html 2 Likes
- Tillie Claggett Makes LPGA Debut at the VOA Classic 👏 Good luck, Tillie Claggett! #VOAClassic 3 Likes
- Supporting Triumph Over Kids Cancer is personal for Scheffler Texas native and #LJTAlumni, Scottie Scheffler, recently supported Triumph Over Kid Cancer. His personal connection to the charity runs deep and dates back to his time playing on the Legends Junior Tour!
#JARMemorial 12 Likes
- Giving Tuesday Play Day- Crown Colony Country Club Event Portal :: Join us in Lufkin, TX for a special #GivingTuesday event, where all proceeds go toward the #TGAFoundation.
📍 Crown Colony
📅 Tues., Dec. 1 @ 10AM
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf, Lunch & Prizes
Follow ... 1 Likes