Manor Takes Early Lead at 104th Texas Amateur
(Houston, TX) Thursday’s opening round of the 104th
Texas Amateur Championship presented by Insperity saw one hundred and
forty-four of Texas’ top amateur golfers begin their journey in chasing down the
coveted title of Texas Amateur Champion and hoisting the H.L. Edwards trophy. Playing
just shy of 7,100 yards, the par 72 Lakeside Country Club welcomed players from
across the state with pristine fairways and near flawless greens creating a
backdrop primed for this storied championship. Consisting of both a morning and
afternoon wave of players, Thursday provided a myriad of excitement as several
players made early charges toward the top of the leaderboard.
Houston native and Redstone Golf Club member, John Hunter,
opened his morning round with a birdie on the par-3 tenth hole before quickly
adding three more within his first six holes. “It’s a fair course”, Hunter
stated, “It’s about getting the ball on the right part of the fairway so that
you can get it to the right part of the green” and he was successful in doing
just that. Carding an opening nine of three under par thirty-two, Hunter,
playing in his first Texas Amateur, continued his stellar play carding two more
birdies on his first three holes of the back nine. Looking unstoppable, Hunter’s
momentum stumbled when he found trouble on the par-3 fourth which resulted in a
double-bogey, five. A bogey on his last hole gave Hunter an opening round of
three under par, 69. Also carding a morning round of three under par was the
2012 North Player of the Year, Mike Calef, whose round consisted of three
bogeys and six birdies, four of which came on his closing eight holes. Defending Texas Amateur champion, Thomas Birdsey,
looked to come out strong in defense of his title and finds himself tied for twelfth
after an opening round of two under par, 70.
Two players found themselves sitting atop the leaderboard
after the morning rounds had completed. Wesley McClain of Diboll and Lewis
Stephenson of Mansfield both carded opening rounds of five under par, 67. “Hitting
the fairway off the tee is very important”, McClain stated “I hit 17 greens
today and when you do that your chances of going low are pretty good.” McClain,
who plays for the University of Houston, is playing in his second Texas Amateur
with a field that consists of seven of his collegiate teammates. “It’s fun
playing with my teammates out here. We’ve got a stacked team.” Matching McClains 67 was Lewis Stephenson who got
things going early posting three birdies in his first four holes. “I was very
fortunate today because I got the speed of the greens very quickly.” At 53
years old, Stephenson comes into the Amateur with the main focus of making the
cut. “There are so many good young players here. It’s very exciting and very
humbling at the same time because there is always that next big name to show up
on the leaderboard.” With his wife caddying for him, Stephenson is just trying
to enjoy his time at Lakeside this week and “do one for the old guys.”
Heading into the afternoon rounds, players knew that low
scores were accessible. Battling the same heat and humidity that the morning
wave faced, the last several groups of the afternoon also faced a suspension of
play due to inclement weather in the area. After a 45 minute delay play was
resumed and the final ten groups were able to head back on course to complete
Houston local Stephen Marland looked to make his run at the
morning leaders from the very beginning. After back to back birdies to open his
round, Marland followed up a bogey on the par 3 fourth hole with two more back
to back birdies. After four straight
pars on the back Marland added birdies at holes fourteen and sixteen to post a
five under par, 67, placing him in a tie for second. Marland along with Lewis Stephenson
and Wesley McClain find themselves chasing round one leader, Doug Manor. Manor,
who currently lives in Austin, took charge of Lakeside Country Club posting an
opening round of seven under par, 65. His blemish free round included seven
birdies and not a single bogey. “I was able to keep it in play all day and only
missed a few fairways”, Manor stated. Hitting the ball well off the tee was a
start but Manor’s stellar performance around the greens is what allowed him to
post such a great opening round. ”I putted extremely well making three or four
long putts and then chipped in several times when I missed the green. I’ve been
playing a lot of golf lately and feel that if I can stay rested this week there
shouldn’t be much I need to change.” Manor heads into tomorrow’s holding a two
shot lead over three players tied for second and a total of twenty-three
players who posted under par opening rounds.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes