Philley Leads After Round Two at the West Texas Amateur
The second round of the 85th Annual West Texas
Amateur began Saturday under ideal scoring conditions for the second straight day.
With light winds and soft greens, players were able to fire at hole locations
without having to worry about shots getting through the greens. The conditions
were particularly well received by those players looking to make a move inside
the 36-hole cutline.
Mike Peck, who fired a bogey free 66 and led the Senior
division after round one, continued his solid play in round two. Peck started
on the 10th hole and made birdies at #13, and #17 before making a
bogey at #18 to shoot 1-under on his first nine holes. Peck quickly made up the
lost shot with birdies on #1, and #4, but bogeyed the 6th hole to
shoot 2-under par for the round. Pecks 36-hole total of 7-under par, 135, gives
him a four shot lead over Denny Alexander heading into the final round on
Sunday. Alexander was able to match Peck in round two with a round of 69 that included
16 pars, and 2 birdies for a two round total of 3-under par, 139. The only
other player under par after 36 holes is Mac McGee of Midland. After a 3-under
par, 68 in round one, McGee fought hard and managed a 1-over par, 72 in the
second round for a 36-hole total of 2-under, 140. Rounding out the top five in
the Senior division are Bob Kearney and Doug Hopton-Jones who are tied for fourth
at 1-over par, 143. The cut for the Senior division came at 13-over par, 155.
21 players from the Senior division will be playing for the championship in the
final round on Sunday.
In the Super Senior division, Bill Holstead of Wichita Falls
fired an impressive round of 2-under par that included four bogeys. To overcome
the lost shots, Holstead made birdies on holes #3, #4, #5, #10, #16, and #18.
The round of 69 gives Holstead a 36-hole total of 1-under par, 141, and a two
shot lead heading into the final round over Dale Fell, and 2011 champion Michael
Hastings. Fell managed four birdies to go with three bogeys in the only other
sub-par round for the Super Senior division on Saturday. Michael Hastings, who
lead at even-par after round one, managed a 1-over par round of 72 on Saturday.
Both players sit tied for second with a 36-hole total of 1-over par, 143. The
cut for the Super Senior division came at 15-over par, 157. Nine players will
be playing in the final round.
The Open division got their second round started in the
afternoon under slightly more difficult conditions with higher temperatures and
stronger winds providing a challenging test. Leading the way was Logan Philley
of Robert Lee. Logan sat alone in second place after a 67 in round one. In
round two, Philley picked up right where he left off making birdie on the 10th
hole (his starting hole), and following it up with another birdie on 16 before
carding a bogey on the 18th to turn in 1-under par. Philley went on
to make two more birdies and a bogey on his back side to close out the round at
2-under par, 69. Phillys 36-hole total of 6-under par, 136 moved him to the top
of the leaderboard after round two and gives him a three shot lead. Tied for
second place with a 36-hole total of 3-under par, 138, are Rob Couture, Michael
Culin, and Lewis Stephenson. Starting his round on the 10th hole,
Couture made two quick bogeys at #12 and #14. He then turned things around by
making birdies on holes #18, #2, #8, and #9 to close out a solid round of
2-under par, 69. In similar fashion, Culin made the turn at 2-over for the day.
On the back nine, he went on to make three birdies, including two in a row on
#11 and #12 to shoot 1-under par, 70. After a 3-under par, 68, in round one,
Lewis Stephenson had to fight through his second round making three bogeys and
three birdies to shoot even-par. Three other players currently sit under par
after 36 holes, Ed Sanchez at 2-under, along with Jay McHugh and Calvin Clyde
at 1-under. The cut in the Open division came at 7-over par, 149. The low 37
open division players will tee it up Sunday morning for the final round.
Each division remains close moving into the final round.
Play will begin Sunday in San Angelo at 8:00am. For scores and tee time
information, please visit WWW.TXGA.ORG.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes