Philley Leads After Round Two at the West Texas Amateur
The second round of the 85th Annual West Texas
Amateur began Saturday under ideal scoring conditions for the second straight day.
With light winds and soft greens, players were able to fire at hole locations
without having to worry about shots getting through the greens. The conditions
were particularly well received by those players looking to make a move inside
the 36-hole cutline.
Mike Peck, who fired a bogey free 66 and led the Senior
division after round one, continued his solid play in round two. Peck started
on the 10th hole and made birdies at #13, and #17 before making a
bogey at #18 to shoot 1-under on his first nine holes. Peck quickly made up the
lost shot with birdies on #1, and #4, but bogeyed the 6th hole to
shoot 2-under par for the round. Pecks 36-hole total of 7-under par, 135, gives
him a four shot lead over Denny Alexander heading into the final round on
Sunday. Alexander was able to match Peck in round two with a round of 69 that included
16 pars, and 2 birdies for a two round total of 3-under par, 139. The only
other player under par after 36 holes is Mac McGee of Midland. After a 3-under
par, 68 in round one, McGee fought hard and managed a 1-over par, 72 in the
second round for a 36-hole total of 2-under, 140. Rounding out the top five in
the Senior division are Bob Kearney and Doug Hopton-Jones who are tied for fourth
at 1-over par, 143. The cut for the Senior division came at 13-over par, 155.
21 players from the Senior division will be playing for the championship in the
final round on Sunday.
In the Super Senior division, Bill Holstead of Wichita Falls
fired an impressive round of 2-under par that included four bogeys. To overcome
the lost shots, Holstead made birdies on holes #3, #4, #5, #10, #16, and #18.
The round of 69 gives Holstead a 36-hole total of 1-under par, 141, and a two
shot lead heading into the final round over Dale Fell, and 2011 champion Michael
Hastings. Fell managed four birdies to go with three bogeys in the only other
sub-par round for the Super Senior division on Saturday. Michael Hastings, who
lead at even-par after round one, managed a 1-over par round of 72 on Saturday.
Both players sit tied for second with a 36-hole total of 1-over par, 143. The
cut for the Super Senior division came at 15-over par, 157. Nine players will
be playing in the final round.
The Open division got their second round started in the
afternoon under slightly more difficult conditions with higher temperatures and
stronger winds providing a challenging test. Leading the way was Logan Philley
of Robert Lee. Logan sat alone in second place after a 67 in round one. In
round two, Philley picked up right where he left off making birdie on the 10th
hole (his starting hole), and following it up with another birdie on 16 before
carding a bogey on the 18th to turn in 1-under par. Philley went on
to make two more birdies and a bogey on his back side to close out the round at
2-under par, 69. Phillys 36-hole total of 6-under par, 136 moved him to the top
of the leaderboard after round two and gives him a three shot lead. Tied for
second place with a 36-hole total of 3-under par, 138, are Rob Couture, Michael
Culin, and Lewis Stephenson. Starting his round on the 10th hole,
Couture made two quick bogeys at #12 and #14. He then turned things around by
making birdies on holes #18, #2, #8, and #9 to close out a solid round of
2-under par, 69. In similar fashion, Culin made the turn at 2-over for the day.
On the back nine, he went on to make three birdies, including two in a row on
#11 and #12 to shoot 1-under par, 70. After a 3-under par, 68, in round one,
Lewis Stephenson had to fight through his second round making three bogeys and
three birdies to shoot even-par. Three other players currently sit under par
after 36 holes, Ed Sanchez at 2-under, along with Jay McHugh and Calvin Clyde
at 1-under. The cut in the Open division came at 7-over par, 149. The low 37
open division players will tee it up Sunday morning for the final round.
Each division remains close moving into the final round.
Play will begin Sunday in San Angelo at 8:00am. For scores and tee time
information, please visit WWW.TXGA.ORG.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes