Booker and Kilby in the Final at the Mid-Amateur Match Play
San Antonio — Overnight
showers brought close to an inch of rain to Oak Hills Country Club prior to the
start of the quarterfinals for the Mid-Amateur Match Play Championship on
Saturday. The slightly softer golf course paired with the cooler temperatures
provided a perfect stage for some exciting golf. Eight players survived the
first two rounds on Friday and returned to the host site with hopes of
surviving two more matches and advancing to the finals on Sunday.
Off in the first match of the morning and looking to
continue his consistent and solid play from Friday was Oak Hills employee, John
Perez. For the third straight match, Perez would be facing off against an Oak
Hills member. Saturday’s opponent was qualifying round co-medalist, Zan Terry.
Perez got things started early with a birdie on the 1st to take a
quick 1-up lead. Terry went on to square the match with a par on the 3rd,
but would lose the 4th and 9th holes to head to the back
nine 2-down. The two halved the 10th hole with birdies and moved on
to the 11th. With a par on the par-4, 11th, Perez extended
his lead to 3-up and would never look back. The two players matched pars for
the next five holes and Perez would emerge victorious once again with a 3&2
win. The third match of the quarterfinals featured Gene Williams and Colby
Harwell. A birdie at the 1st gave Harwell the quick 1-up lead. The
two would then go back and forth for the next eight holes making the turn at
all square. Harwell made another birdie at the par-5, 10th, but gave
it back at the 11th with a bogey to even the match once again. A conceded
birdie at the 13th, and another birdie at the 15th
quickly gave Harwell the 2-up lead going into the 17th hole. With
matching pars on the 17th, the match was over with Harwell winning
2&1. Also advancing from the quarterfinals were Mike Booker, who defeated
Michael Pruitt in 20 holes, and Ron Kilby, who defeated Matt Wernecke by a
margin of 4&3.
Semifinal matches started Saturday afternoon with John Perez
facing Mike Booker. With a fast start that included two birdies in his first
six holes, Booker took a commanding 4-up lead going to the 8th tee.
Perez, who has been known to wear people out with his consistent play, made a
par on the 8th to get back to 3-down, and another par at the 9th
to halve the hole. The players went on to halve the 10th with
birdies but with another par on the 11th, Perez cut into the lead
again moving him to 2-down. Sensing a change in momentum, Booker picked up the
pace and won holes 12 and 13 to retake the 4-up lead. Making another birdie on
the 15th, Booker closed out John Perez 5&3 to claim his spot in
the final match on Sunday.
In the last semifinal match, Ron Kilby, who was the college
roommate of Mike Booker, faced off against Colby Harwell. Kilby took a quick
2-up lead with wins on the first two holes and would manage to hold on to that
lead through the first 13 holes. Kilby made a solid par on the 14th
to win another hole and extend his lead to 3-up. With a birdie at the par-5, 15th,
and a par at the 16th, Harwell quickly got two holes back to move to
1-down with two holes to play. The players halved the 17th with pars
and headed to the 18th with Harwell in a win-or-go home situation.
Harwell’s tee shot on the par-3, 18th, left him with a very
difficult two-putt that he was unable to convert. Kilby’s chip from short of
the green was enough for a concession and a victory of 2-up.
With that, the final match for the 2013 Mid-Amateur Match
Play Championship is set for Sunday morning at Oak Hills Country Club with
former college roommates Mike Booker and Ron Kilby battling for the title. The
pair will tee off at 7:30am. For live scoring and other information, please
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes