Booker and Kilby in the Final at the Mid-Amateur Match Play
San Antonio — Overnight
showers brought close to an inch of rain to Oak Hills Country Club prior to the
start of the quarterfinals for the Mid-Amateur Match Play Championship on
Saturday. The slightly softer golf course paired with the cooler temperatures
provided a perfect stage for some exciting golf. Eight players survived the
first two rounds on Friday and returned to the host site with hopes of
surviving two more matches and advancing to the finals on Sunday.
Off in the first match of the morning and looking to
continue his consistent and solid play from Friday was Oak Hills employee, John
Perez. For the third straight match, Perez would be facing off against an Oak
Hills member. Saturday’s opponent was qualifying round co-medalist, Zan Terry.
Perez got things started early with a birdie on the 1st to take a
quick 1-up lead. Terry went on to square the match with a par on the 3rd,
but would lose the 4th and 9th holes to head to the back
nine 2-down. The two halved the 10th hole with birdies and moved on
to the 11th. With a par on the par-4, 11th, Perez extended
his lead to 3-up and would never look back. The two players matched pars for
the next five holes and Perez would emerge victorious once again with a 3&2
win. The third match of the quarterfinals featured Gene Williams and Colby
Harwell. A birdie at the 1st gave Harwell the quick 1-up lead. The
two would then go back and forth for the next eight holes making the turn at
all square. Harwell made another birdie at the par-5, 10th, but gave
it back at the 11th with a bogey to even the match once again. A conceded
birdie at the 13th, and another birdie at the 15th
quickly gave Harwell the 2-up lead going into the 17th hole. With
matching pars on the 17th, the match was over with Harwell winning
2&1. Also advancing from the quarterfinals were Mike Booker, who defeated
Michael Pruitt in 20 holes, and Ron Kilby, who defeated Matt Wernecke by a
margin of 4&3.
Semifinal matches started Saturday afternoon with John Perez
facing Mike Booker. With a fast start that included two birdies in his first
six holes, Booker took a commanding 4-up lead going to the 8th tee.
Perez, who has been known to wear people out with his consistent play, made a
par on the 8th to get back to 3-down, and another par at the 9th
to halve the hole. The players went on to halve the 10th with
birdies but with another par on the 11th, Perez cut into the lead
again moving him to 2-down. Sensing a change in momentum, Booker picked up the
pace and won holes 12 and 13 to retake the 4-up lead. Making another birdie on
the 15th, Booker closed out John Perez 5&3 to claim his spot in
the final match on Sunday.
In the last semifinal match, Ron Kilby, who was the college
roommate of Mike Booker, faced off against Colby Harwell. Kilby took a quick
2-up lead with wins on the first two holes and would manage to hold on to that
lead through the first 13 holes. Kilby made a solid par on the 14th
to win another hole and extend his lead to 3-up. With a birdie at the par-5, 15th,
and a par at the 16th, Harwell quickly got two holes back to move to
1-down with two holes to play. The players halved the 17th with pars
and headed to the 18th with Harwell in a win-or-go home situation.
Harwell’s tee shot on the par-3, 18th, left him with a very
difficult two-putt that he was unable to convert. Kilby’s chip from short of
the green was enough for a concession and a victory of 2-up.
With that, the final match for the 2013 Mid-Amateur Match
Play Championship is set for Sunday morning at Oak Hills Country Club with
former college roommates Mike Booker and Ron Kilby battling for the title. The
pair will tee off at 7:30am. For live scoring and other information, please
- Round 1 of the #SuperSenior at Ridglea Country Club (North Course) is underway!
For pairings and tee times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-super-senior-amateur-pairings/ 6 Likes
- Wilshire & Dees win the 2021 #WomensPartnership! 🏆🏆
Thank you to all of the competitors that came out to Riverhill Country Club!
🔗Learn More: https://www.txga.org/2021/04/13/wilshire-and-dees-win-the-womens-partnership/
🔢Final Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/tga-2021-womens-partnership-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/ 2 Likes
- Timeline Photos What an amazing week at the #Masters2021 for Will Zalatoris, 2nd place in his first-ever start at Augusta National! Will won the 105th Texas Amateur in 2014 & has often said it was his first major amateur victory. Congrats, Will! ... 57 Likes
- Augusta Jam & Mayors Masters Experience | April 7 - 10, 2021 We are excited to be a part of Augusta Jam & The Mayor’s Masters Experience presented by Toyota USA hosted in the Play Golf Designs Inc. Virtual Clubhouse.
🔊 COMPLIMENTARY REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN! Join us this week to celebrate ... 1 CommentsMayor's Masters Experience Thank you! ✨ #MME20212 Likes
- Auto Shot Tracking with Apple Watch As an official partner of Golfshot GPS, we're excited to announce their newest feature, Auto Shot Tracking for Apple Watch. This feature auto-detects your swing and tracks your shots right from your Apple Watch.
Follow the link to see how ...
- Eight Drive, Chip & Putt Champions Crowned at Augusta Four boys and four girls ages 7-15 were crowned champions on Sunday at the 2021 Drive, Chip & Putt National Finals at Augusta National Golf Club. 6 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for this incredible #TexasTuesdayDeal - brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X Short Par 4. Get your #GolfBuddy w/ voice today and save $90! Want more deals? Sign up for the #TGAPlayersBox today and save ... 3 Likes
- Local links: Maulana Dotch becomes first Black woman PGA member to serve as GM of... Congrats to one of our state's best golf pros! Well deserved & good luck, Maulana!
Follow the link to read about Maulana Dotch's incredible journey on becoming the first Black woman PGA member to serve as GM of golf facility. 8 Likes
- Practice round is underway at Moody Garends Golf Course for the 2021 #WomensEclectic. The Texas Golf Association is looking forward to hosting a safe and competitive championship. Good luck to all competitors this week!
🔗Learn More: ￼ https://www.txga.org/tga-womens-eclectic-texas-golf-association/ 2 Likes