Bendetti Leads Texas Mid-Amateur
(Boerne, TX) One hundred and thirty-two players found
themselves in a battle of attrition as the opening round of the Texas Mid-Amateur
Championship got underway today at Cordillera Ranch. The Nicklaus designed
course, which opened in 2006, provided a stunning backdrop for this year’s
championship as it welcomed the players with immaculate course conditions and
beautiful hill country scenery. Not to give way to the players too early in the
championship, the course played tough for many as fast greens and gusty winds
provided challenges to the players throughout most of the day. With only one
score falling under par and a scoring average of 81.1, Cordillera Ranch is
giving the players a true test of championship golf.
Defending 2012 Texas Mid-Amateur Champion, John Bearrie,
began his repeat journey with a strong opening round of two over par, 74. Bearrie
jumpstarted his round with a birdie on the par-4 tenth hole and added a second
birdie on the twelfth before carding back-to-back bogeys to head into the back
nine at even par. An up and down back nine which included five bogeys and three
birdies places Bearrie in a tie for fifth heading into tomorrow’s second round.
“The greens were very fast”, Bearrie stated “but the wind was the primary reason
that it became so difficult to score. Getting the ball in the fairway is critical
for me and if I can do that I have a good shot.” Bearrie heads into tomorrow three shots back of round one leader,
Joe Bendetti, of Austin.
Bendetti finds himself continuing his stellar play of 2013
after firing an opening round of one-under par, 71. Bendetti, who captured both
the Texas and Trans-Miss Four-Ball titles this year, found trouble early as he
carded a triple bogey on just his third hole of the day. Bouncing back quickly,
Bendetti made back-to-back birdies on holes fourteen and fifteen before making
an eagle on the par-4 eighteenth to bring him back to one under par for the
round. “It’s a great golf course…definitely a second shot golf course that
forces you to be on the correct side of the green. If you can stay patient and
leave yourself below the hole you can give yourself some good looks.” A closing
nine of even par, 36, placed Bendetti atop the leaderboard and no one was able
to catch him throughout the remainder of the days play. His round of 71 was the
lone under-par round of the day and gives him a one shot lead over Ron Kilby of
McAllen and Clay Hodge of Bryan who finished with rounds of 72. Sitting in
third place is John Dowdall of Houston who opened up his championship with a
one-over par, 73.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes