Stroke play completed, Match play bracket underway
(Euless, TX) Play
kicked off in the first round of the 2014 State Public Links Championship at
Texas Star Golf Course in Euless. Stroke play was the opening round’s format
and defending Texas Amateur Champion Doug Manor got off to a blistering start,
firing four birdies in his first six holes.
Manor, who is from Dallas, described his next nine holes as
rough, making three bogeys from holes seven through fifteen. “I was just trying
to stay aggressive, but get in the house with a decent number,” said Manor after
his round. The Texas Amateur Champion would miss birdie putts on Nos. 16 and
17, but recorded a birdie on No. 18 to shoot a 2-under-par 69.
Nathan Weant of Hallsville, Cleburne’s Dillon Vaughn and Will Griffin from Lufkin each shot
3-under-par 68 in their first rounds for the low scores. All while Mansfield’s
Andre Garcia, San Marcos’ Tyler Thomas and Austin’s Nolen Stratton posted
rounds of 2-under 69. Andrew McGee from Graham shot 1-under on Thursday and tied with North Richland Hill’s Kevin Burke.
Tyler Thomas posted the tournament’s low score in last
year’s championship at Avery Ranch Golf Club in Austin, shooting an opening
round 67, but lost in the match play semifinals. Dillon Vaughn, who is
attending Abilene Christian next year, was the No. 18 seed in last year’s
match-play field. “I’m hitting it a little better this year and I putted well
today,” said Vaughn after his 68.
Matthew Neeley and Jimmy Keener each shot even-par 71 to
advance, while 13 players posted scores between 72 and 75 to qualify for the
next round of the tournament.
The final eight spots in the match-play bracket were
determined by a playoff between nine participants with Chad Ahn, Dylan Rottner,
Drew Odaniel, Sean Skellenger, Aaron Adair, Kiley Hardy, Parker Kienholz and
David Collura rounding out the tournament bracket, which can be viewed here.
The top 32 players from the first round qualify for the
match-play portion of the tournament as players will face off against each
other the rest of the way to determine the champion. Nathan Weant will be the No.
1 seed in the bracket, followed by Will Griffin at No. 2 and Dillon Vaughn at
- #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X Short Par 4. Order your #Dunning shorts today for only $35, available in four colors! Want more deals? Si#tgaplayersbox#TGAPlayersBox today & save $30 ...
- Texas Golf HOF Reschedules Class of 2020 Induction Event Texas Golf HOF Reschedules Class of 2020 Induction Event
Follow the link for more info. 1 CommentsPut in Randy Petri!3 Likes
- Round 1 of the #SuperSenior at Ridglea Country Club (North Course) is underway!
For pairings and tee times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-super-senior-amateur-pairings/ 6 Likes
- Wilshire & Dees win the 2021 #WomensPartnership! 🏆🏆
Thank you to all of the competitors that came out to Riverhill Country Club!
🔗Learn More: https://www.txga.org/2021/04/13/wilshire-and-dees-win-the-womens-partnership/
🔢Final Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/tga-2021-womens-partnership-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/ 2 Likes
- Timeline Photos What an amazing week at the #Masters2021 for Will Zalatoris, 2nd place in his first-ever start at Augusta National! Will won the 105th Texas Amateur in 2014 & has often said it was his first major amateur victory. Congrats, Will! ... 58 Likes
- Augusta Jam & Mayors Masters Experience | April 7 - 10, 2021 We are excited to be a part of Augusta Jam & The Mayor’s Masters Experience presented by Toyota USA hosted in the Play Golf Designs Inc. Virtual Clubhouse.
🔊 COMPLIMENTARY REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN! Join us this week to celebrate ... 1 CommentsMayor's Masters Experience Thank you! ✨ #MME20212 Likes
- Auto Shot Tracking with Apple Watch As an official partner of Golfshot GPS, we're excited to announce their newest feature, Auto Shot Tracking for Apple Watch. This feature auto-detects your swing and tracks your shots right from your Apple Watch.
Follow the link to see how ...
- Eight Drive, Chip & Putt Champions Crowned at Augusta Four boys and four girls ages 7-15 were crowned champions on Sunday at the 2021 Drive, Chip & Putt National Finals at Augusta National Golf Club. 6 Likes