Championship match ready
(Euless, TX)Quarterfinal matches were completed in the State
Public Links Championship at Texas Star Golf Course with Will Griffin, Stratton
Nolen, Tyler Thomas and Nathan Weant all advancing to the semifinals.
Will Griffin, who is a member of the University of Texas golf team, won
his match over Jimmy Keener, 1 up, making four birdies in the final six holes
to advance to the semifinals.
Opposing Griffin will be Tyler Thomas, who defeated Dillon Vaughn
3&1. Thomas is a member of the Texas State University golf team and said he
is very familiar with his next opponent.
Stratton Nolen made four birdies in his first nine holes and won his
quarterfinal match 5&4 over Brody Watkins. Nolen birdied Nos. 10 and 14 to
clinch a spot in the semifinals.
Top-seeded Nathan Weant needed 20 holes, but closed out Drew McGee
before the rain started coming down. Weant and McGee were back and forth the
whole round as neither player had more than a two-hole lead on the other.
Weant’s par on the 20th hole clinched the match for the No. 1 seed.
The rain passed and the blue skies took control in the
afternoon, as Stratton Nolen and Will Griffin both won their semifinal matches
in the State Public Links Championship, advancing to the Championship Match on
Sunday, June 1, at Texas Star Golf Course.
Stratton Nolen knocked off top-seeded Nathan Weant in his
semifinal match, making seven birdies in 18 holes to win 1 up. Weant was dormie
with two holes to play, but rolled in a 25-foot putt on No. 17 to push the
match to the final hole. Weant found a rough patch with his tee shot, but was
able to get his second shot up on the green. Nolen was long with his second
shot, but was able to get up and down for birdie on the 18th hole,
earning a spot in the championship match.
Will Griffin, who is the No. 2 seed in the tournament, made
birdie on No. 3 to bring the match all square, then won the next two holes to
go 2 up. Griffin made the turn 1 up on Tyler Thomas, then won holes 10, 11 and
14 to go 4 up with four holes to play. Thomas made birdie on No. 15 and par on
Nos. 16 and 17 to force the match to 18 holes. Thomas would two-putt for birdie
on the 18th ho le, however Griffin was able to get up and down for
his own birdie, ending the match with Griffin 1 up.
Griffin and Nolen will play for the State Public Links
Championship on Sunday, teeing off at 7:30 am. Both players have also earned an
exemption in the 2014 Texas State Amateur at Brook Hollow Golf Club in Dallas.
To view the bracket in its entirety, click here.
- Drop your answers below ⬇️
📆 Event Calendar Available at: https://www.txga.org/event-directory/?event_year=2021&event_month=any
- 12 Players Invited to 2021 Curtis Cup Practice Session The USGA has invited 12 top female amateur golfers to take part in a 2021 Curtis Cup practice session at Lake Nona in Orlando, Fla., later this month. 1 Likes
- 📢 Registration Now Open 📢
TGA Member Clubs/Facilities, don't miss the opportunity to play against each other in our annual team match play competition, the #TexasLeaguePlay! Learn more and sign up today: https://www.txga.org/texas-league-play-general-information-2021 1 Likes
- Lone Star Golf December 2020Champions GC Shines at 75th U.S. Women's Open Facing more challenges, stress and extraordinary complications than imaginable, Champions Golf Course Shines, executing an unforgettable 75th U.S. Women's Open! Follow the link for the full story. #LoneStarGolf
https://qoo.ly/39utfdce2f7-0f4dcfcc7e-# 3 Likes
- Timeline Photos #TGAMembers don't miss this month's 48-hour #TexasTuesday deal! Save up to 50% off TGA-customized #UnderArmour apparel & #ClubGlove bags. Check your email for access to the Texas Tuesday Vault! Not a member? Sign up today! https://buff.ly/3gRu264 #TGAPlayersBox 1 Likes
- #WomenWorthWatching We believe that women's #golf is worth watching. But did you know that of all #sports covered in America, only 4 percent feature #female #athletes?
Join the conversation #WomenWorthWatching
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/women-worth-watching.html 2 Likes
- Tillie Claggett Makes LPGA Debut at the VOA Classic 👏 Good luck, Tillie Claggett! #VOAClassic 3 Likes
- Supporting Triumph Over Kids Cancer is personal for Scheffler Texas native and #LJTAlumni, Scottie Scheffler, recently supported Triumph Over Kid Cancer. His personal connection to the charity runs deep and dates back to his time playing on the Legends Junior Tour!
#JARMemorial 12 Likes