Peck Wins 2014 Mid-Amateur Match Play
Bryan – Mike Peck from Irving and Jess Bonneau from Houston
battled into extra holes to decide the 2014 State Mid-Amateur Match Play
Championship at Traditions Club. After both players reached the green in three
shots on the 19th hole, Bonneau missed his 15-foot par putt. Peck was much
closer; only three feet stood between himself and the coveted Texas Golf
As he did over and again all day Sunday, Peck stepped up and
poured in the decisive putt.
“That might have been the best putting I have ever had in a
tournament,” said the champion Peck, who also won the 2013 State Senior
Peck and Bonneau got off to a hot start in the final match of
the Mid-Amateur Match Play. Both players were all square through the first
three holes. On the fourth hole, Peck birdied to go 1 up. Bonneau answered with
a birdie the fifth hole to push the match back to all square. Peck went on to
birdie No. 7 and held another 1-up lead in the 18-hole final match.
Bonneau answered again. He nearly made an albatross on the
525-yard, par-5 eighth hole and tapped in from a foot for eagle to square the
match yet again.
“I had to put everything close. He [Peck] was making
everything,” said Bonneau.
The two decorated amateurs went back and forth for the next
several holes. Three times Bonneau held 1-up leads, but each time Peck rallied
to get even. On the 143-yard, par-3 hole 16th hole, Peck missed a five-footer
for par, and Bonneau sank his to go 2 up with two to play.
“I thought it was all over,” Peck said.
It was far from over. Peck won the two holes to pull even after
18 holes. With his par on the 19th, the championship was Peck’s.
After shooting a 2-over-par 74 in the stroke play qualifying
round, Peck earned the No. 13 seed in the 32-player match play bracket. Peck
defeated 20th-seeded Barrett Sandefur, 3 and 1, in the opening round. Peck
moved past Chris Casey from The Woodlands, 3 and 2, in the second round. In the
quarterfinals, Peck scored another 3-and-2 victory, this time against TGA
veteran stalwart Aaron Hickman. In the semifinals, Peck beat Tony Soerries from
Montgomery, 3 and 1, to reach the finals.
- Drop your answers below ⬇️
📆 Event Calendar Available at: https://www.txga.org/event-directory/?event_year=2021&event_month=any
- 12 Players Invited to 2021 Curtis Cup Practice Session The USGA has invited 12 top female amateur golfers to take part in a 2021 Curtis Cup practice session at Lake Nona in Orlando, Fla., later this month. 1 Likes
- 📢 Registration Now Open 📢
TGA Member Clubs/Facilities, don't miss the opportunity to play against each other in our annual team match play competition, the #TexasLeaguePlay! Learn more and sign up today: https://www.txga.org/texas-league-play-general-information-2021 1 Likes
- Lone Star Golf December 2020Champions GC Shines at 75th U.S. Women's Open Facing more challenges, stress and extraordinary complications than imaginable, Champions Golf Course Shines, executing an unforgettable 75th U.S. Women's Open! Follow the link for the full story. #LoneStarGolf
https://qoo.ly/39utfdce2f7-0f4dcfcc7e-# 3 Likes
- Timeline Photos #TGAMembers don't miss this month's 48-hour #TexasTuesday deal! Save up to 50% off TGA-customized #UnderArmour apparel & #ClubGlove bags. Check your email for access to the Texas Tuesday Vault! Not a member? Sign up today! https://buff.ly/3gRu264 #TGAPlayersBox 1 Likes
- #WomenWorthWatching We believe that women's #golf is worth watching. But did you know that of all #sports covered in America, only 4 percent feature #female #athletes?
Join the conversation #WomenWorthWatching
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/women-worth-watching.html 2 Likes
- Tillie Claggett Makes LPGA Debut at the VOA Classic 👏 Good luck, Tillie Claggett! #VOAClassic 3 Likes
- Supporting Triumph Over Kids Cancer is personal for Scheffler Texas native and #LJTAlumni, Scottie Scheffler, recently supported Triumph Over Kid Cancer. His personal connection to the charity runs deep and dates back to his time playing on the Legends Junior Tour!
#JARMemorial 12 Likes
- Giving Tuesday Play Day- Crown Colony Country Club Event Portal :: Join us in Lufkin, TX for a special #GivingTuesday event, where all proceeds go toward the #TGAFoundation.
📍 Crown Colony
📅 Tues., Dec. 1 @ 10AM
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf, Lunch & Prizes
Follow ... 1 Likes