Owen's 65 Leads 31st Mid-Amateur by One Shot
HORSESHOE BAY—Trey Owen knows how reassuring it can be to have familiarity on a golf course during a championship event.
The Austin resident and member at Escondido Golf and Lake Club on Friday set the pace during the first round of the 31st annual Texas Mid-Amateur Championship with a 6-under-par 65. He made seven birdies against one bogey and leads the tournament by one shot over Terence Begnel from Midland.
“Overall I hit it pretty good all day, and I made a ton of putts,” said Owen, a 42-year-old left-hander playing in his first Texas Mid-Am. “I certainly felt comfortable and had a sense of familiarity. That helped a bunch.”
A member at Escondido for nearly three years, Owen is the owner of several Planet Fitness franchises across Texas. He said his 65 was the lowest score he’s posted at Escondido.
Designed by Tom Fazio and opened in 2006, Escondido that year was named as the “Best New Course in Texas” by The Dallas Morning News. Ever since, it’s earned a spot in the Top 100 of Golfweek’s Best Residential Golf Courses in America. For the Texas Mid-Am, the 132 players aged 25 and older played it as a par 71 that measured 6,873 yards.
“Like a lot of really good Fazio courses, the holes are really framed well off the tee,” Owen said. “The greens are tremendous. They’re firm, fast and very consistent.”
Begnel, who played college golf at Oral Roberts in Oklahoma, made eight birdies on his way to a 5-under 66. He sits alone in second place, two strokes clear of Trevor Hyde from Kerrville, who shot a 3-under 68. Mike Booker from The Woodlands is tied for fourth place with Jordan Woolf from Fort Worth and Brandon Burke from Houston at 2-under 69. Booker won the Texas Mid-Am in 2003 and was the TGA’s 2012 Senior Player of the Year. Booker and Hyde are TGA Directors.
A light rain throughout the day made play slightly more challenging, however there were no delays. Eleven players broke par and five more finished at even-par 71. Escondido played to a stroke average of 76.74, nearly six shots over par. The 430-yard, par-4 14th hole was the toughest. It played to an average of 4.7 and yielded just nine birdies. Twenty-five players made double bogey or worse on No. 14.
The format for the 54-hole championship is individual stroke play. The field will cut to the low 54 scores and ties after Saturday’s second round. The event was open for mid-amateur men who are current residents of Texas and have a GHIN Handicap Index of 8.4 or lower. More than 580 mid-amateurs attempted to qualify for the TGA major championship.
Through one round, players have raved about the fast greens and delicious meals in Escondido’s Great House. The club on Friday provided natural Akaushi beef to the players during their lunch.
The second round begins Saturday at 8 a.m. For more information and complete scoring, please click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes