Owen's 65 Leads 31st Mid-Amateur by One Shot
HORSESHOE BAY—Trey Owen knows how reassuring it can be to have familiarity on a golf course during a championship event.
The Austin resident and member at Escondido Golf and Lake Club on Friday set the pace during the first round of the 31st annual Texas Mid-Amateur Championship with a 6-under-par 65. He made seven birdies against one bogey and leads the tournament by one shot over Terence Begnel from Midland.
“Overall I hit it pretty good all day, and I made a ton of putts,” said Owen, a 42-year-old left-hander playing in his first Texas Mid-Am. “I certainly felt comfortable and had a sense of familiarity. That helped a bunch.”
A member at Escondido for nearly three years, Owen is the owner of several Planet Fitness franchises across Texas. He said his 65 was the lowest score he’s posted at Escondido.
Designed by Tom Fazio and opened in 2006, Escondido that year was named as the “Best New Course in Texas” by The Dallas Morning News. Ever since, it’s earned a spot in the Top 100 of Golfweek’s Best Residential Golf Courses in America. For the Texas Mid-Am, the 132 players aged 25 and older played it as a par 71 that measured 6,873 yards.
“Like a lot of really good Fazio courses, the holes are really framed well off the tee,” Owen said. “The greens are tremendous. They’re firm, fast and very consistent.”
Begnel, who played college golf at Oral Roberts in Oklahoma, made eight birdies on his way to a 5-under 66. He sits alone in second place, two strokes clear of Trevor Hyde from Kerrville, who shot a 3-under 68. Mike Booker from The Woodlands is tied for fourth place with Jordan Woolf from Fort Worth and Brandon Burke from Houston at 2-under 69. Booker won the Texas Mid-Am in 2003 and was the TGA’s 2012 Senior Player of the Year. Booker and Hyde are TGA Directors.
A light rain throughout the day made play slightly more challenging, however there were no delays. Eleven players broke par and five more finished at even-par 71. Escondido played to a stroke average of 76.74, nearly six shots over par. The 430-yard, par-4 14th hole was the toughest. It played to an average of 4.7 and yielded just nine birdies. Twenty-five players made double bogey or worse on No. 14.
The format for the 54-hole championship is individual stroke play. The field will cut to the low 54 scores and ties after Saturday’s second round. The event was open for mid-amateur men who are current residents of Texas and have a GHIN Handicap Index of 8.4 or lower. More than 580 mid-amateurs attempted to qualify for the TGA major championship.
Through one round, players have raved about the fast greens and delicious meals in Escondido’s Great House. The club on Friday provided natural Akaushi beef to the players during their lunch.
The second round begins Saturday at 8 a.m. For more information and complete scoring, please click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes