Three Tied for Lead at 77th State Senior Amateur
FORT WORTH—Only three players in a total field of 144 managed to break par Friday at historic Shady Oaks Country Club during the first round of the 77th Texas Senior Amateur Championship. For their efforts, they share the lead at the Texas Golf Association’s final major championship of the year.
Fort Worth’s Gary Wayne Hardin and Hollis Sullivan, a Shady Oaks member and TGA Board Member, and Ken Coutant from Dallas each posted 1-under-par 70. They hold a one-shot lead over a group of five players in the 54-hole, individual stroke play event.
“I putted really well,” said Sullivan, 57, who has been a Shady Oaks member for 11 years. “I only had one three-putt, and I left myself a lot of short second putts. That’s the key around here. You have to be a good lag putter.”
Among the five competitors one stroke back at even-par 71 is Wichita Falls’ Bill Holstead, who in 1970 held off World Golf Hall of Famers Ben Crenshaw and Tom Kite to win the Texas Amateur at age 23. A former Champions Tour player, Holstead is a three-time West Texas Amateur champion. He also won the West Texas Super Senior Division title in July.
Defending Senior Amateur champion and reigning TGA Senior Player of the Year Mike Peck from Irving had a rough day. He posted 7-over 78.
Designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr. and opened for play in 1958, Shady Oaks played host to the 2008 U.S. Senior Amateur won by George “Buddy” Marucci. For this weekend’s Texas Senior Amateur, the course measured 6,780 yards for the Senior Division and produced a first round scoring average of 77.15.
Twenty-six players are within five shots of Hardin, Sullivan and Coutant with 36 holes to play.
Shady Oaks also got the best of the Super Senior Division in the first round. Playing from 6,435 yards, it wasn’t necessarily the length that that kept all 48 players out of red numbers. Rather, it was the tricky putting surfaces that defended par. Unusually large and sloped, the billiards-table-smooth bentgrass greens average 7,700 square feet in size and registered a speed of 11.2 feet on the Stimpmeter.
For much of the day, Super Seniors struggled to match the right line with the necessary speed to sink many birdies. There were 101 double bogeys or worse on Friday compared to only 59 birdies. The Super Senior scoring average was nearly 10 shots over par at 80.67.
Marshall Utterson from Houston and Harold Speer from Mansfield turned in scores of 2-over 73 to share the first round lead in the Super Seniors Division. Horseshoe Bay’s Jess Claiborne is one shot behind at 3-over 74. Three players tied for fourth place, including Aledo’s Jody Vasquez, a former range ball shagger of the iconic Ben Hogan who in 2004 penned the book, “Afternoons with Mr. Hogan.”
Vasquez shares fourth place at 4-over 75 with Fred Clark from Kingwood and L.D. Clopton from McAllen.
The second round of the State Senior Amateur Championship begins at 8 a.m. Saturday. At the conclusion of play, the field will be cut to the low 48 scores and ties for the Senior Division and low 24 scores and ties for Super Seniors. For more information, including complete scoring, please click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes