A Closer Look at the Texas Shootout
The Texas Shootout, the Texas Golf Association’s season-ending tournament, features two teams of 12 players competing in foursome, four-ball and singles matches at Miramont Country Club on Oct. 18-19. This is the 12th year that the TGA has pitted its best players from the North versus the best from the South in what amounts to an all-star amateur event.
Miramont was designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr. and opened in 2005. Located in Bryan, the expansive course sits in the shadows of the Texas A&M campus and is spread over 7,127 yards with rolling meadows, towering oak trees and undulated greens surrounded by intimidating bunkers.
Each Texas Shootout team is composed of eight mid-amateur players, four selected from the Statewide Player of the Year standings and four from the Regional Player of the Year standings, as well as the four highest-ranked senior players from the Senior Player of the Year standings. Each match is worth three points in true Nassau style: a point each for the front nine, back nine and overall match.
The North team prevailed in last year’s Shootout, earning 40 points at Northwood Club in Dallas to put an end to the South’s three-year winning streak. The South now leads the overall series, 6-5.
Zach Atkinson of Colleyville and Aaron Hickman of Tyler were on the winning Texas team in the 2014 USGA Men’s State Team Championship at French Lick Resort in Indiana. Atkinson finished seventh at the Texas Amateur and tied for eighth in the statewide standings. Hickman, who is playing in his ninth consecutive Texas Shootout, finished tied for 10th at the Texas Amateur and was a quarterfinalist at the Mid-Am Match Play.
Irving’s Mike Peck, who is the reigning Senior Player of the Year, finished seventh in the Statewide Player of the Year standings. Peck won the State Four-Ball Senior Division title with partner Mike Booker, finished tied for third in the North Senior Amateur and finished tied for third in the Senior Division at the West Texas Amateur. Peck won the Mid-Am Match Play Championship at Traditions Club in Bryan earlier this year, beating Jess Bonneau in the final match.
Brad Gibson of Frisco finished third in the North Regional Player of the Year standings. Gibson tied for third in the North Amateur at Watters Creek and tied for fifth in the North Mid-Am at Prestonwood Country Club.
Mike Booker and Ron Kilby bring a wealth of experience and talent to the South team. The Woodlands’ Booker, who is playing in his fifth consecutive Shootout, leads the Senior Player of the Year standings for 2014. Booker teamed up with Mike Peck to win the State Four-Ball Senior title in May, tied for fifth at the Mid-Amateur Championship and tied for sixth at the Senior Amateur.
Booker has also played well in the South Regional events this year, finishing tied for second at the South Senior Amateur and tying for fourth at the South Four-Ball with partner and Shootout teammate Bob Kearney. McAllen’s Kilby is coming off a win in the State Senior Amateur at Shady Oaks Country Club in Fort Worth. Kilby is second in the Senior Player of the Year standings and is also participating in his fifth Texas Shootout.
Houston’s Jess Bonneau finished third in the State Player of the Year standings and is competing in his second Shootout. Bonneau was a runner-up in the Mid-Am Match Play in July, losing to Mike Peck in the final match. Earlier in the year Bonneau reached the semifinals of the U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship.
Kerrville’s Trevor Hyde earned enough points for an 11th -place finish in the State Player of the Year standings and a third-place finish in the South Player of the Year standings. Hyde finished tied for third in the State Mid-Am at Escondido and fourth in the South Amateur at Comanche Trace.
Play begins on Saturday Oct.18 with four-ball matches in the morning and foursome matches in the afternoon. Miramont will play 7,078 for the mid-amateurs, with the senior matches being contested at 6,708 yards.
Play concludes Sunday Oct. 19 with 12 singles matches. An awards ceremony will take place immediately after the conclusion of play.
John Bearrie – Mid-Amateur *Captain
Brad Gibson – Mid-Amateur
Lewis Stephenson – Mid-Amateur
Josh Irving – Mid-Amateur
Aaron Hickman – Mid-Amateur
Zach Atkinson – Mid-Amateur
Rob Couture – Mid-Amateur
Ted Waldrip – Mid-Amateur
Mike Peck – Senior
Jerry Hudgins – Senior
Ken Coutant – Senior
Hollis Sullivan – Senior
Randy Lance – Mid-Amateur
Trevor Hyde – Mid-Amateur
Tony Soerries – Mid-Amateur
Chris Causey – Mid-Amateur
Jess Bonneau – Mid-Amateur
Brandon Burke – Mid-Amateur
Brian Noonan – Mid-Amateur
John Hunter – Mid-Amateur
Mike Booker – Senior *Captain
Ron Kilby – Senior
Bob Kearney – Senior
Richard Hageman – Senior
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes