Inaugural Texas Super Senior Set For March 10-12
DALLAS—The first-ever Texas Super Senior Championship will be contested March 10-12 on the Live Oak Course at Fair Oaks Ranch Golf & Country Club, located northwest of San Antonio.
“The addition of the Texas Super Senior to the men’s annual schedule reflects the association’s continued commitment to our talented senior amateurs by giving them the spotlight so they can showcase their skills,” said Ryan Finn, Managing Director of TGA Championships.
There are eight former Texas Senior Amateur champions in the starting field who have combined for an amazing 17 total Senior titles. Among those pedigreed players are two Texas Golf Hall of Fame members, Don Addington of Dallas and John Grace of Fort Worth, and Mike Rice of Houston, who also won the 2005 U.S. Senior Amateur.
The format for Texas Super Senior is 54 holes of individual stroke play with no cut. Two age divisions will compete for separate titles: Super Senior (65 or older) and Legends (75+).
Each age division plays from different tees with a separate champion crowned. The Super Seniors will play from approximately 6,250 yards, and the Legends will tee it up at around 6,000 yards.
Designed by Gary Player and Ron Kirby, the Live Oak Course opened for play in 1978. The layout underwent a substantial renovation in 2006, which was overseen by Weibring-Wolfard Golf Design. The Live Oak Course will provide a stern challenge for the state’s best seniors with its tree-lined fairways, natural water hazards and large, undulating greens.
Live scoring updates and daily recaps, as well as tee-times and pairings, will be available on txga.org once the action gets underway from Fair Oaks Ranch G&CC. To learn more about this year’s championship please contact the Texas Golf Association main office at (214) 468-8942.
2015 TEXAS SUPER SENIOR AMATEUR STARTING FIELD NOTES
FORMER TEXAS SENIOR AMATEUR CHAMPIONS (8) – Don Addington of Dallas (1998-97, 1990, 1988-86), Mike Arnold of San Antonio (2007), John Grace of Fort Worth (2010), Mike Hopson of Lufkin (2003), Bob Hullender of San Antonio (2000, 1994, and 1992), Chris Larsen of Houston (2006), Mike Rice of Houston (2005, 1999, and 1995), and Andy Wall of Tyler (2004).
FORMER TEXAS AMATEUR CHAMPIONS (3) – John Grace of Fort Worth (1994), Bill Holstead of Wichita Falls (1970), and Bob Hullender of San Antonio (1996).
FORMER TEXAS MID-AMATEUR CHAMPIONS (2) – John Grace of Fort Worth (1991-1994) and Bill Holstead of Wichita Falls (1990).
U.S. SENIOR AMATEUR TOP FINISHES – Mike Rice of Houston defeated defending champion Mark Bemowski of Mukwonago, Wisconsin, 1-up, to win the 2005 U.S. Senior Amateur at the Farm Golf Club in Rocky Face, Georgia; John Grace, a 2008 U.S. Senior Amateur quarterfinalist, made it to the championship final in 2009, losing on the final hole when former Walker Cup teammate, Vinny Giles, drained a downhill 18-foot putt for birdie to win, 1-up, at Beverly Country Club in Chicago, Illinois.
SCHEDULE OF PLAY:
Tuesday (March 10) – First round, 18-holes, stroke play.
Wednesday (March 11) – Second round, 18 holes, stroke play. Field cut after 36 holes.
Thursday (March 12) – Final round, 18-holes, stroke play. Awards ceremony following play.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes