Inaugural Texas Super Senior Set For March 10-12
DALLAS—The first-ever Texas Super Senior Championship will be contested March 10-12 on the Live Oak Course at Fair Oaks Ranch Golf & Country Club, located northwest of San Antonio.
“The addition of the Texas Super Senior to the men’s annual schedule reflects the association’s continued commitment to our talented senior amateurs by giving them the spotlight so they can showcase their skills,” said Ryan Finn, Managing Director of TGA Championships.
There are eight former Texas Senior Amateur champions in the starting field who have combined for an amazing 17 total Senior titles. Among those pedigreed players are two Texas Golf Hall of Fame members, Don Addington of Dallas and John Grace of Fort Worth, and Mike Rice of Houston, who also won the 2005 U.S. Senior Amateur.
The format for Texas Super Senior is 54 holes of individual stroke play with no cut. Two age divisions will compete for separate titles: Super Senior (65 or older) and Legends (75+).
Each age division plays from different tees with a separate champion crowned. The Super Seniors will play from approximately 6,250 yards, and the Legends will tee it up at around 6,000 yards.
Designed by Gary Player and Ron Kirby, the Live Oak Course opened for play in 1978. The layout underwent a substantial renovation in 2006, which was overseen by Weibring-Wolfard Golf Design. The Live Oak Course will provide a stern challenge for the state’s best seniors with its tree-lined fairways, natural water hazards and large, undulating greens.
Live scoring updates and daily recaps, as well as tee-times and pairings, will be available on txga.org once the action gets underway from Fair Oaks Ranch G&CC. To learn more about this year’s championship please contact the Texas Golf Association main office at (214) 468-8942.
2015 TEXAS SUPER SENIOR AMATEUR STARTING FIELD NOTES
FORMER TEXAS SENIOR AMATEUR CHAMPIONS (8) – Don Addington of Dallas (1998-97, 1990, 1988-86), Mike Arnold of San Antonio (2007), John Grace of Fort Worth (2010), Mike Hopson of Lufkin (2003), Bob Hullender of San Antonio (2000, 1994, and 1992), Chris Larsen of Houston (2006), Mike Rice of Houston (2005, 1999, and 1995), and Andy Wall of Tyler (2004).
FORMER TEXAS AMATEUR CHAMPIONS (3) – John Grace of Fort Worth (1994), Bill Holstead of Wichita Falls (1970), and Bob Hullender of San Antonio (1996).
FORMER TEXAS MID-AMATEUR CHAMPIONS (2) – John Grace of Fort Worth (1991-1994) and Bill Holstead of Wichita Falls (1990).
U.S. SENIOR AMATEUR TOP FINISHES – Mike Rice of Houston defeated defending champion Mark Bemowski of Mukwonago, Wisconsin, 1-up, to win the 2005 U.S. Senior Amateur at the Farm Golf Club in Rocky Face, Georgia; John Grace, a 2008 U.S. Senior Amateur quarterfinalist, made it to the championship final in 2009, losing on the final hole when former Walker Cup teammate, Vinny Giles, drained a downhill 18-foot putt for birdie to win, 1-up, at Beverly Country Club in Chicago, Illinois.
SCHEDULE OF PLAY:
Tuesday (March 10) – First round, 18-holes, stroke play.
Wednesday (March 11) – Second round, 18 holes, stroke play. Field cut after 36 holes.
Thursday (March 12) – Final round, 18-holes, stroke play. Awards ceremony following play.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post All 😃’s as Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball gets underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort Apple Rock! ⏰
ℹ️ More info: https://www.txga.org/tga-texas-four-ball-texas-golf-association-2021/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf Course. 11 Likes
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...