John Grace Claims Inaugural Texas Super Senior Championship
FAIR OAKS RANCH—After an even-par round of 72 on the final day of the Texas Super Senior Amateur Championship, John Grace triumphed over Jody Vasquez of Aledo in a sudden death playoff to claim the title in the Super Senior Division.
Despite being five strokes off the lead with eight holes to play, Grace closed in on Vasquez by converting two clutch birdies on the back nine. Vasquez, who posted the 54-hole tournament’s low score in Wednesday’s second round with 69, continued his solid play on route to a 1-over-par 73 to finish tied with Grace at 1-under 215 for the championship.
Grace and Vasquez headed to the 399-yard par-4 ninth hole for the playoff. Both competitors found the fairway with their tee shots and both proceeded to find the difficult ninth green in regulation. Grace, rallying from his strong play on his back nine, stuck his approach to approximately 8 feet and proceeded to convert the birdie putt to claim the championship.
With his victory in the inaugural Super Senior Amateur Championship, Grace becomes the first player to have won state championship titles in four different state championships – some on multiple occasions, including the Texas Amateur (1994), Mid-Amateur (1991, 1992, 1993 and 1994) and Senior Amateur (2010).
Entering the final round one shot off the pace, Grace had a fairly simple approach to his final round.
“All I try to do is play each shot, and each hole, the best I can,” said the Texas Golf Hall of Fame member.
In the Legends Division, San Antonio’s Bob Hullender claimed a wire-to-wire victory with a final round score of 2-over-par 74. Hullender’s steady play proved too much for his fellow competitors in the Legends Division as he bested the field posting a three-day total of 12-over 228. Hullender converted four birdies Thursday and battled through a string of consecutive bogeys to finish eight shots ahead of the field.
Hullender, who has previously claimed the Texas Amateur (1996) and Texas Senior Amateur (1992, 1994 and 2000), reflected on this victory.
“It’s an honor for me after playing with the Texas Golf Association for a lot of years,” he said.
At 77 years old, Hullender becomes the first competitor to claim the Legends Division with the introduction of the State Super Senior Amateur Championship.
The Texas Golf Association would like to thank the membership and staff at Fair Oaks Ranch Golf and Country Club for their hospitality and contributions to the success of the first Texas Super Senior Amateur Championship.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes