Scholarship News Highlights Annual Alliance Cup
EULESS – A cold, rainy Tuesday morning on the golf course ended with one of the brightest moments in recent history for the WTGA at its ninth annual Alliance Cup tournament.
Once play concluded at Texas Star Golf Course in the mixed, four-person team event, Stacy Dennis, Managing Director of the Texas Golf Association, announced the WTGA’s plans to “deepen the impact” of the organization’s scholarship programs. Through initiatives such as the Winner’s Program and Wiesner’s Winners, the WTGA provides grant funding for select chapters of LPGA/USGA Girls Golf and additional support in the way of college scholarships for worthy Texas girls.
Historically, the WTGA has awarded two $1,000 college scholarships each year, with each recipient eligible to renew for up to four years. Dennis, a two-time WTGA State Amateur champion, spoke to the Alliance Cup participants and explained that $4,000 just doesn’t go very far when it comes to college expenses.
“This year we decided that instead of giving several kids a little money each year, we want to send a girl to college,” Dennis said. “So we’re combining our scholarship funds, and the scholarship we award this year will be a four-year commitment of at least $25,000 to one special girl.”
The news was met with rousing applause and put an uplifting cap on the ninth annual Alliance Cup, a fund-raiser for the WTGA that features co-ed teams competing in best-ball game of 2 Low Net, 2 Low Gross. Drizzling rain with temperatures hovering in the mid-50s most of the day did nothing to dampen the spirits of the competitors.
“I was really impressed with the turnout considering the weather,” said Katie O’Donnell, the TGA’s Director of Women’s Operations. “It goes to show how much support we have in the community. At the end of the day, the WTGA wants to help enrich the lives of young girls and help them go to college. These Alliance Cup participants and the money we raise help accomplish that.”
Now part of the TGA Foundation, the Alliance Cup has helped the WTGA’s Winners’ Program provide more than $130,000 in grants and scholarships since 2008.
The team of Andrew Bachelder, Nick Bradley, Randy Nantz and Josh Hayes won the Gross Division with a two-ball score of 4-under-par 138. Kristi Thiele, Marlene Summers, Jim Brown and Mark Button finished second in the Gross Division at 11-over 153. Dennis and her team of 2004 U.S. Senior Women’s Amateur champion Carolyn Creekmore, Pat Wheeler of KVCE AM 1160’s “Texas Links on the Air” and TGA Board Member Leslie Henry won a scorecard playoff in the Net Division title with a score of 5-under 137. Also finishing at 137 were Deb Nelson, Linda Jackman, Sandy Dalehite and Joanne Burleson.
The golf will be forgotten soon enough, but helping young Texas girls through the Alliance Cup and its mission stays with the supporters much longer.
“My favorite part of the day, honestly, was meeting new friends and being able to support the WTGA,” said Summers, a nine-time USGA championship participant. “Both of my daughters played golf in high school, I’ve always been so appreciative of what the WTGA does for girls and junior golf.”
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes