Record Turnout for 10th Annual League Play Series
Record Turnout for 10th Annual League Play Series
When the TGA unveiled the inaugural season of League Play in 2006, no one was sure how it would be received. No one knew how popular it would get, if at all. Fast forward a decade later and we have our answers. The unique team match play competition that pits Member Clubs against each other for the chance at a statewide team championship title and bragging rights celebrates its 10th season this year and it will do so in style.
A record 44 teams are participating in TGA League Play this season. With teams comprised of both public and private Member Clubs, more than 720 individual members are expected to compete.
“We’re thrilled with the participation numbers this season,” said Neil Gilman, the TGA’s League Play Coordinator. “We’ve had several teams return to action this year after short layoffs, and we have a couple brand new entries. I expect we’ll see another highly competitive season with several teams worthy of becoming the state champions.”
The season began in earnest in mid-March. By May 28, 11 teams will advance to the League Play Finals at scenic Horseshoe Bay. Competitors play as a team for their home clubs, whether they’re regulars at a public course or private club members. Each team match consists of four two-man matches, played in team match play format. There is no limit to how many players each team can have; some teams have up to 20 players in rotation.
There are 11 conferences this season – six in Dallas-Fort Worth; three in Houston; one each in Austin and West Texas – with four teams in each. The regular season progresses with home-and-away series between all conference members. Clubs devise their own conferences based on geography. Within each of the four-ball matches that make up one team match, there is one point award for winning the front nine, one for the back nine and one for the overall 18-hole match. A total of 12 points are available within each team match; at least 6.5 points are needed for a team victory.
In addition to the rarity of team golf, another distinctive component of League Play is the use of the USGA Handicap System. Handicaps are used in three of the four matches in each team match; the first match is always played at scratch. The use of handicaps highlights the inclusive nature of League Play, where golfers of all skill levels are welcome.
The social characteristic of League Play is another attraction. Friendships are made and renewed each year during League Play. Some teams take the competition more seriously than others, but everyone who has played even a single match will tell you that there’s a friendly atmosphere to League Play.
With the increased participation came some first-time team entries. Two of the Austin Conference teams, for example, are newcomers to League Play: Escondido Golf and Lake Club in Horseshoe Bay and Spanish Oaks CC in Bee Cave. Several teams made a return to League Play after short layoffs. Among those back in the fold are DeCordova Bend CC in Granbury, Riverbend CC in Sugar Land, Iron Horse GC in North Richland Hills and a trio of private clubs in Houston: Lakeside CC, Royal Oaks CC and BraeBurn CC.
There was some realignment following the 2014 season that in two instances pits two conference winners from last season in the same conference this year. Dallas Athletic Club and River Crest CC in Fort Worth won their respective conferences last season but play in the same conference this year. The same is true for SugarTree Golf and CC in Lipan and Arlington’s Tierra Verde, who happens to be the two-time defending TGA League Play champions.
Tierra Verde team captain Shawn Walsh said his team feels some pressure to repeat again this year.
“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t thinking about it,” Walsh said. “We have a really tight group of players, and it would be really fun if it happens. But a lot of things would have to go our way to even get back to the Finals.”
Walsh’s squad got off to a good start this season with victories over SugarTree and Canyon West GC in Weatherford in March. The team Tierra Verde took down in last season’s championship match of the League Play Finals was Lochinvar in Houston. Lochinvar head professional Rodney Houston, who also plays on his club’s team, said his squad is eager to get back to Horseshoe Bay because they enjoyed the experience so much. He said he wasn’t surprised at all by the increased participation this year.
“I think our League Play is only going to get bigger,” Houston said. “Word is getting out, and I expect it to get more and more popular. I know our guys are really looking forward to it. Our guys love the competition. It’s something to flip the calendar to and get excited about.”
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes