Jones Jr. Takes Solo Lead at Odessa Country Club
ODESSA – Following the first round of the West Texas Amateur, five players shared the lead at 3-under-par 69. Today, only one of those five remains in the top spot.
First round co-leader and Odessa native Mark Jones Jr. got off to a sufficient start this afternoon with a routine even par 36 on the front nine. After making a bogey on the 12th hole, Jones kicked it into gear making birdie on three of his last five holes to finish at 2-under 70 for the day and 5-under 139 for the tournament, leading by one.
“I knew after a while that putts would start falling,” said 27-year-old Jones, “I just kind of stayed patient and tried not to press…before this weekend I set a goal for myself, and that’s about all I’m shooting for.”
Another first round co-leader and Odessa native, Micah Rodgers, finished this morning with a 1-under 71, leaving him in a five-way tie for second at 4-under 140 with Hunter Rawls of Lubbock, Cory Churchman of Abilene, Matthew Zampello of Kingwood, and Tanner Gore of El Paso.
Both Rawls and Churchman fired impressive rounds of 3-under 69, but Odessa’s Will Kinnaird and Fort Worth’s Andrew Hudson had the low rounds of their division at 4-under 68. Kinnaird currently sits four shots back of the lead, while Hudson is five.
Forty-eight players from the Open Division at 7-over or better will play tomorrow morning in Sunday’s Final Round.
Although Kinnaird and Hudson had impressive rounds in the Open Division, John McClure in the Senior Division stole the show with the low round of the day: a 6-under-par 66. Hailing from Austin, McClure bounced back from his opening round of 75 to make a total of eight birdies on the day.
“Putting was the difference today,” said McClure, who had 28 putts on the day. “I made a lot of birdies. I hit the ball close. Yesterday I think I missed three greens and shot 75. Today I missed two greens, but I was able to get closer to the hole and make a lot of putts.”
Tyler’s Jerry Hudgins sits alone in second after an impressive 4-under 68, getting him to the two round total of 2-under 142. Jim Quinn of Arlington follows right behind in solo third at 1-under 143, while first round leader Luke Groves of Odessa is in fourth at 1-over 145.
Eighteen players made the cut in the Senior Division at 9-over or better to compete tomorrow morning for the championship.
Houston’s Chris Larsen maintains the lead in the Super Senior division, bouncing back from his opening round 80 to shoot a 2-under 70, coming to a 36-hole total of 6-over 150. Sam Boyd of Horseshoe Bay remains in solo second at 15-over 159, with Snyder’s Ernie Armstrong moving into solo third at 16-over 160.
Overall, the field fared better today on the Old Course at Odessa Country Club. With a field scoring average of 75.79, the Open Division saw fourteen rounds under par, the Senior Division had six, and Larsen had the solo under par round amongst the Super Seniors.
The final round begins at 7:30 a.m. Sunday. An awards ceremony will be held immediately after the conclusion of play.
To view second round results from the 87th West Texas Amateur, please click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes