Joshua Irving Claims Wire-to-Wire Victory at North Amateur
PROSPER –Josh Irving from Fort Worth claimed his second regional victory of the year after three days at the North Amateur Championship presented by UST Mamiya. Irving, who was also part of the winning North Four-Ball team early in the season, cruised to a wire-to-wire victory at the North Amateur with a closing round of 1-over-par 73.
Irving’s solid play from the first two rounds continued into the final round, which included two birdies on the front nine. They came consecutively, back on the third and fourth holes, each of which demand precise tee shot placement. As he made the turn in 2-under par on the day, Irving said he faltered with his putting to open the back nine.
“I found a few three putts on the back nine and struggled on the greens, let a few strokes get away from me,” said Irving.
In typical fashion, Irving managed to earn a few strokes back from the golf course, picking up two birdies on the back side en route to his final round 73.
Despite fighting the putting surfaces on the back nine, Irving’s sentiments of the golf course were consistent with those of his fellow-competitors.
“These are some of the best Bermuda greens I know of in the state,” Irving said. “The layout is awesome at Gentle Creek, a great design and very well-conditioned.”
Dallas’ Rob Couture continued his steady play into Sunday, turning in a 1-under par 71, for his third consecutive sub-par round of the weekend. Couture, the 2009 Texas Mid-Amateur Champion and former Player of the Year, tried to close the gap on Irving in the final round, but fell a few strokes short. Nonetheless, both players will tee off in the upcoming 2015 Texas Mid-Amateur Championship, which will be contested at Royal Oaks Country Club in Dallas this September.
The top three players and ties from the 2015 North Amateur Championship have each earned an exemption into the 2016 Texas Amateur Championship.
Andrew Morsinkhoff of Rockwall contributed to final round headlines at the North Amateur with an ace on the par three eleventh hole, which played 191 yards on the day. Morsinkhoff recalled the ace as, “a stock four iron, which never left the flag”. Morsinkhoff’s ace was the lone hole-in-one of the championship.
The Texas Golf Association would like to thank UST Mamiya as the sponsor of North Regional events for their support, as well as Gentle Creek Country Club for their efforts and hospitality in hosting this year’s championship. For final round results and photos from the championship, please click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes