Booker Wins 78th Texas Senior Amateur Championship
SAN ANTONIO—Mike Booker on Sunday took another step toward solidifying himself as one of the best competitive amateurs in Texas golf history.
With four-shot victory over Fort Worth’s John Grace and San Antonio’s Bruce Niles at the 78th Texas Senior Amateur, The Woodlands resident captured his eighth career Texas Golf Association championship. On a course that demands steady, disciplined play – historic Oak Hills Country Club – Booker was the epitome of consistency in posting rounds of 71-73-72 to finish at 3-over-par 216.
Grace, a 2012 Texas Golf Hall of Fame inductee who has won every TGA individual state title and four Texas Mid-Amateurs, shot Sunday’s low round. The 67-year-old tamed Oak Hills CC with a smooth 1-under 70 to grab a piece of second place at 7-over 220. Niles, a member at Oak Hills CC, finished with a 3-over 74 to register his 7-over 220.
It was Booker’s week, however, and he relished the moment.
“To win another TGA statewide event is very fulfilling,” he said. “For me it means that I’m still able to get it done.”
He’s been getting it done for years.
Booker has four statewide titles to his name – the 2014 Texas Senior Four-Ball, 2013 Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play and 2003 Texas Mid-Amateur included – in addition to four South Texas championships. His victory today was his second at the venerable Oak Hills CC. He also won the 2013 Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play title at the challenging parkland course built by the famed A.W. Tillinghast in 1921.
“This is a thinking man’s course,” said Booker, the TGA’s Senior Player of the Year in 2012 and ’14. “You have to be accurate. I’ll tell you, today my experience in past championships helped me. Twenty years ago, I would’ve pressed it, and you can’t do that here. Instead, today I stayed disciplined. Having one of my best friends, Dave Bozeman, with me as my caddie was really special, too.”
Booker started the final round one shot behind Ivan Lawson of Cypress. While the contenders around him, Lawson included, fell prey to the perils of Oak Hills CC’s thick rough and lightning-fast greens, Booker made birdies on holes 5, 7 and 8 pushed Booker to gain a five-shot lead with 10 holes to play.
The gap narrowed after Booker went 3-over on the ninth and 10th holes combined, but three more birdies coming in gave the longtime amateur veteran the victory.
Grace understandably was disappointed that he didn’t win, but he held his head high regardless.
“Boy, this course played tough today,” said Grace, who won the 2010 Texas Senior Amateur. “I hit the ball OK, but my short game was good. I got up and down for par on the first four holes.”
Grace’s thoughts on second place?
“It’s better than third place,” he said with a wry smile.
Both Booker and Grace are in the field later this month for the U.S. Senior Amateur in New Jersey. For Booker it will be his 12th USGA national championship. For Grace, it’ll be his 44th.
Booker will look to defend his Texas Senior Amateur title next fall at the Club at Carlton Woods – his home club where he has won a record three Carlton Woods Invitational titles and multiple club championships.
In addition to Niles, two other Oak Hills CC members made the 36-hole cut this weekend. Bobby Baugh finished T11 at 14-over 227. Sam Cangelosi took T56 at 26-over 239.
One of the true gems in this part of the country, Oak Hills CC is used to playing host to major championships. The proud club was the site of the 2001 U.S. Junior Amateur and the PGA Tour’s Texas Open from 1964-94. It also hosted the Champions Tour’s AT&T Championship from 2002-10.
Oak Hills will host another major championship next year when the 107th Texas Amateur returns to the iconic club. First held in 1937, the Texas Senior Amateur is the second oldest competition conducted by the TGA. Only the Texas Amateur, which dates back to 1906, has a longer history.
For more information on the 78th Texas Senior Amateur, including complete scoring, please click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes