TGA Launches Breaking 100 Campaign
DALLAS—In an exciting endeavor to celebrate a century of Women’s Golf in Texas, as well as gather support for the next 100 years, the Texas Golf Association on Monday launched its “Breaking 100” initiative, which includes several programs to commemorate and promote women’s golf.
The program is highlighted by the Breaking 100 Gala, a Nov. 1 dinner and panel discussion with industry leaders at Houston Country Club featuring World Golf Hall of Fame members Kathy Whitworth, Sandra Haynie, Carol Mann and U.S. Women’s Open champion Sandra Palmer. The year-long promotion honors the history of women’s golf in Texas that dates back to the 1916 Women’s State Amateur Championship.
The Breaking 100 agenda also incorporates several year-long programs, such as “100 Holes of Women’s Competitions,” in which five players from the across the state will pledge to play at least 100 holes of Women’s competitions and seek financial support from friends and golfers in their area. The “100 Lessons for Women and Girls,” campaign features 11 teaching pros who will give at least 100 lessons in an effort to grow the game and expand participation. “100 Texas Women,” is a blog that will highlight 100 notable women from the history of Texas golf.
One major focus of the campaign is an effort to raise funds in support of women’s golf and its future generations. All proceeds go directly to the TGA Foundation’s Women’s Initiatives, such as the ’Nez Muhleman/Doris Kallina Scholarship that awards a $25,000 college scholarship paid out over four years to award winners.
Other junior programs geared specifically for girls include the Winner’s Program and Texas Challenge, which promote excellence in golf and the classroom and are conducted in coordination with LPGA/USGA Girls Golf. The “Golf for Grads,” program is aimed at college-aged women who want to learn basic golf skills and etiquette to help them use the game as a networking resource in the business world. “TGA Works”, yet another Foundation program, presents Texas teenagers paid summer internships at TGA Member Clubs and facilities.
“It’s an honor and a privilege to help celebrate the first 100 years of women’s golf in Texas,” said Stacy Dennis, TGA Managing Director and two-time WTGA State Amateur champion from Dallas. “We’ve come so far and produced some of the greatest names in the sport – from Babe Zaharias and Betty Jameson to Stacy Lewis and Angela Stanford – and yet there is so much more we can do to promote and strengthen the game for future generations.”
A former longtime private club general manager, Dennis was hired by the TGA in January 2015. She’s worked in the golf industry since before she was a collegiate player at Texas A&M in the early 1990s.
“I’m an example of a girl whose life was changed because of golf and the things we’ll do through the Breaking 100 initiative,” she said. “Golf provided me opportunities for a college education, an exciting career path, and lifelong friendships. We want to offer the same opportunities to every girl who is interested.”
The TGA needs your support with its Breaking 100 efforts. To make a donation or find other ways to get involved, please contact Stacy Dennis at [email protected] or 214-468-8942, ext. 154. For more information on Breaking 100, please visit www.txga.org/breaking-100.html.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes