Hosch, Sherwood and Alberto Win at the Spring Preview
CYPRESS, Texas – Dallas’ Turner Hosch carded the low round of the Spring Preview Sunday afternoon, firing a 6-under-par 66 to win and capture his first victory of the 2016 season.
Austin’s Cole Sherwood carded a final round 3-under 69 to win the Boys 14 & Under division by nine strokes at BlackHorse Golf Club. Kingwood’s Hanna Alberto fired a 5-under 67 to claim the Girls 12-18 division crown for her first victory on the Legends Junior Tour.
Hosch, the LJT Boys 14 & Under player of the year in 2015, had six birdies in his final round to no bogeys. He went out in 33, carding back-to-back birdies on holes seven and eight. His back nine was just as consistent and it was capped off with a birdie on the par-5 18th hole for a 3-under 33 on the final nine.
First-round leader Shuai Ming Wong of Houston carded a 3-over 75 in the final round to finish one shot back of Hosch. Wong struggled on the first 11 holes and tried to claw his way back with three birdies in the final seven holes, but it just wasn’t enough to match Hosch’s 141 tournament total.
2015 North Texas Classic winner Mark Reppe finished in third place at 1-under 143 for the tournament. Two-time defending champion and BlackHorse Golf Club member Kyle Hogan finished in fourth place at even-par 144. Temple’s William Paysse finished in fifth place at 2-over-par 146.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Sherwood posted the only final round under par. Sherwood started on the par-4 tenth hole and had eight pars and a birdie on his front nine before making the turn. He had a birdie on the first hole, then on the par-4 second, the toughest hole, he bogeyed, his lone bogey of the day. He closed out his round with back-to-back birdies on the eighth and ninth holes to win by nine shots.
Pearland’s Vishnu Sadagopan and Austin’s Trey Bosco finished in a tie for second place at 6-over-par 150 for the tournament. J. Holland Humphries, leader after the first round, struggled to an 81 and finished alone in fourth place.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Alberto played flawlessly, carding three birdies and an eagle on her final hole, the par-5 ninth. Playing in the group in front of Alberto, Cedar Park’s Chandler Rosholt posted a 4-under 68 in the final round to take the clubhouse lead. But Alberto was not to be outdone, making an eagle to cap off her round and win by three strokes over Rosholt.
Austin’s Sadie Englemann finished in third place, seven shots back of Alberto at 1-over par 145 for the tournament. First-round leader Gurleen Kaur finished in fourth place after struggling to a final-round 4-over-par 76.
This is the third tournament on the Legends Junior Tour in 2016 and is ranked nationally by Golfweek and Junior Golf Scoreboard. The Spring Preview has been one of the more popular events on tour recently. AJGA Performance Stars will also be awarded to some of the top finishers.
The Spring Preview has been held at BlackHorse Golf Club for the last three years. Designed by the Peter Jacobsen and Jim Hardy, The South Course was built around large lakes and the final six holes of the course take players through an expansive sand quarry which was transformed into wetlands. The scenic 17th hole features a large body of water that players have to carry to get onto the green of the par 3.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes