Re-Launched 'TGA Works' Program Offers Jobs for High School Students
DALLAS—The Texas Golf Association on Thursday announced the re-launch of “TGA Works,” a TGA Foundation program designed to give high school students an introduction to job opportunities in the golf industry.
According to the National Golf Foundation, the golf industry as a whole has a $68 billion economic impact on the U.S. economy. From careers in agronomy and food and beverage to finance and business management to club professionals and retail sales, the golf industry offers a truly broad spectrum of career choices. The TGA Works program provides an entry point to the myriad life paths available in golf.
Through its Foundation, the TGA will underwrite four paid summer internships for high school students with an interest in golf. Member Clubs participating in TGA Works include the Golf Club of Texas in San Antonio, Northgate Country Club in Houston, Dallas Athletic Club and Onion Creek Country Club in Austin. The students in the program get a paid summer job and they also receive one free golf lesson every week of the 10-week program that begins in mid-June. Perhaps best of all, the interns gain valuable experience in a variety of golf industry positions to help them consider viable career choice options.
The Member Clubs get access to motivated young people with a golf background to fill seasonal employment needs. Participating clubs also receive grant funding from the TGA Foundation to offset a large portion of the personnel costs. Additionally, the clubs gain the opportunity to train potential future employees.
“This really could be an opportunity of a lifetime,” said Stacy Dennis, the TGA’s Managing Director of the TGA Foundation. “I’ve spent my entire career in the golf industry, and I’m here today because I took a job as a cart attendant while I was in high school. We want to give this opportunity to deserving young Texans. It’s a win-win-win in that we’re helping introduce young people to the possibilities of a career in golf, our Member Clubs receive employment help and the TGA Foundation is able to give back to the golf community.”
Potential interns must have a golf background and be involved in an organized junior golf program, such as their high school golf team and a First Tee or LPGA/USGA Girls Golf program.
“My first internship was my first golf-related job and this is where I realized that although I loved playing golf, I loved working in the golf industry even more,” said Val De Fex from Dallas. She participated as a TGA Works intern in 2007 and 2008. “After the internships, I went on to work at LB Houston Golf Course. The internship provided a great insight on the ‘behind the scenes’ of the golf industry and it helped me have an overall love for the game. Although I no longer work in the golf industry, these internships gave me my first real world, client relationship experience that I use in my current line of work.”
Lakewood Country Club in Dallas was one of the TGA Member Clubs which has participated in the TGA Works program. Ray DeTullio, Lakewood’s General Manager, said it provided the club an opportunity to mentor students who were ready to demonstrate their potential for a career in the golf industry.
“The arrangement through the TGA was mutually beneficial,” DeTullio said. “The TGA recommended the candidates before the club conducted the interview process. We had a positive experience and look forward to the program getting even better.”
For more information or to apply for the TGA Works program, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes