Re-Launched 'TGA Works' Program Offers Jobs for High School Students
DALLAS—The Texas Golf Association on Thursday announced the re-launch of “TGA Works,” a TGA Foundation program designed to give high school students an introduction to job opportunities in the golf industry.
According to the National Golf Foundation, the golf industry as a whole has a $68 billion economic impact on the U.S. economy. From careers in agronomy and food and beverage to finance and business management to club professionals and retail sales, the golf industry offers a truly broad spectrum of career choices. The TGA Works program provides an entry point to the myriad life paths available in golf.
Through its Foundation, the TGA will underwrite four paid summer internships for high school students with an interest in golf. Member Clubs participating in TGA Works include the Golf Club of Texas in San Antonio, Northgate Country Club in Houston, Dallas Athletic Club and Onion Creek Country Club in Austin. The students in the program get a paid summer job and they also receive one free golf lesson every week of the 10-week program that begins in mid-June. Perhaps best of all, the interns gain valuable experience in a variety of golf industry positions to help them consider viable career choice options.
The Member Clubs get access to motivated young people with a golf background to fill seasonal employment needs. Participating clubs also receive grant funding from the TGA Foundation to offset a large portion of the personnel costs. Additionally, the clubs gain the opportunity to train potential future employees.
“This really could be an opportunity of a lifetime,” said Stacy Dennis, the TGA’s Managing Director of the TGA Foundation. “I’ve spent my entire career in the golf industry, and I’m here today because I took a job as a cart attendant while I was in high school. We want to give this opportunity to deserving young Texans. It’s a win-win-win in that we’re helping introduce young people to the possibilities of a career in golf, our Member Clubs receive employment help and the TGA Foundation is able to give back to the golf community.”
Potential interns must have a golf background and be involved in an organized junior golf program, such as their high school golf team and a First Tee or LPGA/USGA Girls Golf program.
“My first internship was my first golf-related job and this is where I realized that although I loved playing golf, I loved working in the golf industry even more,” said Val De Fex from Dallas. She participated as a TGA Works intern in 2007 and 2008. “After the internships, I went on to work at LB Houston Golf Course. The internship provided a great insight on the ‘behind the scenes’ of the golf industry and it helped me have an overall love for the game. Although I no longer work in the golf industry, these internships gave me my first real world, client relationship experience that I use in my current line of work.”
Lakewood Country Club in Dallas was one of the TGA Member Clubs which has participated in the TGA Works program. Ray DeTullio, Lakewood’s General Manager, said it provided the club an opportunity to mentor students who were ready to demonstrate their potential for a career in the golf industry.
“The arrangement through the TGA was mutually beneficial,” DeTullio said. “The TGA recommended the candidates before the club conducted the interview process. We had a positive experience and look forward to the program getting even better.”
For more information or to apply for the TGA Works program, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes