Hallmark and Miskell Lead Texas Four-Ball after Round 1
BOERNE—Local duo Trey Hallmark from Boerne and three-time TGA Player of the Year Terrence Miskell from New Braunfels on Friday blistered Cordillera Ranch for a bogey-free, 8-under-par 64 to lead the Championship Division after one round at the 2016 Texas Four-Ball Championship.
Hallmark is a member at Cordillera Ranch, and Miskell plays out of nearby Sonterra Golf Club. They’ve been four-ball partners for more than a year; the Texas Four-Ball Championship is their seventh event as partners. In February they combined to shoot 61-66 to win the San Antonio Golf Association’s Regional Four-Ball Championship.
“We’ve been playing with each other long enough that we know each other’s games well,” said Hallmark, who made seven birdies in the first round. “If one of us gets in trouble out there, we know the other will be there for us. When we both get it going – like we did today – then we can make a lot of birdies. We birdied the same hole a few times today and only had one par putt longer than 10 feet.”
Miskell, the 2004, ’06 and ’07 Player of the Year, has won three Texas Four-Ball titles. In 2003-04, he teamed with Titus Harris to win back-to-back Four-Balls. In 2007, Miskell teamed with U.S. Mid-Amateur champion Trip Kuehne to win the Texas Four-Ball. That same year, Miskell also won the Texas Mid-Amateur and Public Links Championships.
On Friday at Cordillera Ranch, he made five birdies with a hot putter.
“Inside of six feet, I can’t miss,” he said. “That takes pressure off so many other parts of my game. It takes pressure off my lag putting, and it even helps take pressure off my approach shots.”
Hallmark and Miskell lead three teams by two shots. Chris Goodspeed from Coppell and Rick Sulzer from Carrollton combined to shoot 6-under 66. Twice they teamed for three consecutive birdies – on holes 1, 2 and 3, then later on 14, 15 and 16 – but suffered a double-bogey on the 434-yard, par-4 17th hole. Randy Lance from Spring and William Piper from Cypress also turned in a 6-under 66. They, along with Goodspeed and Sulzer, are tied for second place with 2015 TGA Player of the Year Joshua Irving from Dallas and Scott Volpitto from Fort Worth.
Irving and Volpitto carded six birdies without a bogey. They said the key to their play was pretty simple.
“Patience,” said Volpitto, who rolled in four birdies. “We knew there would be birdies out there, but with any four-ball tournament, you have to stay patient.”
Tied for fifth place are Austin’s David Backus and Barrett Sandefur and Jeff Brame from Cypress and Houston’s Jimmy Vandagriff. Both teams registered 5-under 67s. Twenty-eight of the 40 teams in the Championship Division finished under par, but Cordillera Ranch stood tall with a course average of 77.00.
In the Senior Division (55 years and older), Bob Kearney and Gary Durbin from Houston sit atop the leaderboard with 6-under 66. In a round that included five birdies and one bogey, Kearney supplied the highlight with an eagle-2 on the 390-yard, par-4 17th. Kearney and Durbin lead by one shot over the teams of Mike Booker of Houston and Pat Youngs from San Antonio and Jonathon Shipley of Katy and John Dowdall from Fulshear.
Booker, the 2015 TGA Senior Player of the Year and winner of the 2015 Texas Senior Amateur, combined with Youngs for six birdies against a lone bogey. Shipley and Dowdall made seven birdies and two bogeys.
In the Super Senior Division (65 years and older), two teams are tied for the lead. Bob Hullender from San Antonio and Mike Arnold from Windcrest posted 3-under 69 and share first place with Sam Boyd from Horseshoe Bay and Ken Redfern from Austin. Bud Bartels and John Jones from Houston finished at 2-under 70 and trail the Super Seniors leaders by one shot.
This is the third TGA Championship held at Cordillera Ranch. The 2013 Texas Mid-Amateur, won by Tyler’s Clay Hodge, and the 2007 Texas Shootout, during which the North Texas team prevailed, were also played at the stunning Jack Nicklaus-designed course at the heart of the Texas Hill Country.
Located about 20 miles north of San Antonio, Cordillera Ranch has all the touches of a classic Nicklaus course. Towering oak trees, bubbling streams, elevation changes and dramatic rock outcroppings all combine to create one of the most beautiful and challenging golf experiences in Texas.
The Texas Four-Ball Championship features an 80-team starting field with three age divisions. The Championship Division (25 years and older), Seniors (55 and older) and Super Seniors (65 and older) play from different tees and are competing for separate Four-Ball titles. The format is 54-hole, four-ball stroke play.
The second round begins at 8 a.m. Saturday at Cordillera Ranch. At the conclusion of 36 holes, the field will be cut to the low 44 teams and ties.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes