Meissner's 6-under 66 Leads 15th Bluebonnet Championship
BROWNWOOD, Texas – Low scores were plentiful Saturday for the first round of the Bluebonnet Championship, but none lower than McClure Meissner’s red-hot, 6-under-par 66. Cole Sherwood’s 3-under 69 was good enough to lead the Boys 14 & Under division by two shots. Austin’s Sara Camarena carded a 3-under 69 to lead the Girls 12-18 division at Brownwood Country Club.
Known for yielding low numbers, Brownwood Country Club is a player favorite on the Legends Junior Tour schedule. In Saturday’s first round, 40 players shot even par or better. The course, a par-72, is playing 6,266 yards for all boys and 5,733 yards for all girls.
San Antonio’s Meissner, winner of the 2016 James A. Ragan Memorial in February, started out with five straight pars, but back-to-back birdies on the sixth and seventh holes got his round going. He birdied the par-5 10th hole and then eagled the par-5 12th hole to get to 5-under on his round. He carded one more birdie coming in to cap off his impressive round.
Meissner sits atop the leaderboard, but there are several players within striking distance heading into Sunday’s final round. Dallas’ Andy Lopez sits alone in second place, one shot back, after carding a 5-under-par 67 that included seven birdies.
Christian Fanfelle, Garrett Martin, Trey Bosco, and Holt Miller all carded 4-under 68’s and are tied for third place after the first round. 2015 Boys 15-18 Player of the Year Pierceson Coody, Michael Anthony Rome, and Sixian Guo sit in a tie for seventh, three shots back of Meissner.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Austin’s Sherwood had a relatively easy front nine, going out in 3-under 32, including a birdie on the par-5 seventh hole. He started his back nine with a bogey, but quickly recovered with a birdie on the next, the difficult par-4 11th hole. He had a double-bogey on the 16th hole, but gained confidence going into Sunday, making a birdie on the par-5 finishing hole.
Sherwood leads by two shots over Plano’s Rohan Reddy Aerrabolu. Aerrabolu’s 1-under 71 included a birdie on the opening par-4 first hole. He carded three birdies against two bogeys. Vishnu Sadagopan and Brian Boles sit in a tie for third place, both carding even-par 72’s in their opening round.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Camarena carded three birdies in an early six-hole stretch, including back-to-back birdies on holes three and four that got her off to a great start. She added two birdies against one bogey from there on out to card a stress-free 3-under-par 69.
A crowded leaderboard will be trying to catch Camarena in Sunday’s final round. Austin’s Kaylee Vesely carded a 2-under-par 70 and sits in solo second. Sadie Englemann, also of Austin, and Richardson’s Libby Winans sit one shot back after carding 1-under-par 71’s. Trinity King and Julia Gregg sit in a tie for fifth place, three shots back of Camarena. Three others are tied for seventh place at 1-over 73.
Tee times are scheduled to start at 7:30am off the first tee for Sunday’s final round of the Bluebonnet Championship. For more information on the tournament or the Legends Junior Tour, please visit www.TXGA.org. For first round results, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes