Meissner's 13-Under Total Caps off Dominant Weekend at Bluebonnet Championship
BROWNWOOD, Texas – They say records are meant to be broken. Well San Antonio’s McClure Meissner did that and then some Sunday afternoon at the 15th Bluebonnet Championship. His tap-in eagle on the 18th hole Sunday capped off his dominant weekend at Brownwood Country Club. Meissner finished the tournament at 13-under-par 131 after a final round 7-under-par 65.
Vishnu Sadagopan captured the Boys 14 & Under division crown after his 3-under-par 69 final round. First round leader Sara Camarena won her first Legends Junior Tour event on Sunday with a 4-under-par 140 tournament total.
Known for yielding low numbers, Brownwood Country Club is a player favorite on the Legends Junior Tour schedule, 36 players shot even par or better for the tournament. The course, a par-72, played 6,266 yards for all boys and 5,733 yards for all girls.
2014 saw a new record holder at the Bluebonnet Champioship when Ryan Grider shot rounds of 65-70 to get to 9-under 135 for the first time in the tournament’s history. After Meissner’s 6-under 66 Saturday, the record was within reach.
He got to 9-under after a birdie on the par-5 10th hole. He didn’t have another birdie the rest of the way, but two eagles on the other two par-5s got him to 13-under-par. That record is impressive, but a bogey-free 36-hole tournament might be even more impressive. On the par-3 17th hole, Meissner looked like he might card his first bogey of the day after he left his tee shot short of the green. He was able to get up and down to keep his card clean. His tap-in eagle on the 36th hole was just icing on the cake.
Andy Lopez of Dallas finished in second place, five shots behind Meissner. He started the day one shot back and in the final group, but back-to-back bogeys on holes 13 and 14 derailed his chances. Pierceson Coody, Michael Anthony Rome and Christian Fanfelle all finished the tournament at 7-under 137 and finished in a tie for third place. Parker Coody and Landon Earnst finished in a tie for sixth place.
The Bluebonnet Championship was started by Brownwood businessman Bart Johnson in 2001. The tournament has an impressive list of past champions that includes four-time PGA Tour winner Patrick Reed, Brett Spencer, Cody Gribble, Cory Whitsett and Stratton Nolen. After not being held in 2006, the Legends Junior Tour took over control of the tournament in 2007 and it has consistently produced one of the largest, and strongest, fields of the year.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Sadagopan won his second straight LJT tournament Sunday. He also won the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic in March. He had a bogey-free final round and birdied two of his final three holes Sunday. Those two birdies proved to be the difference, winning by two shots over Brian Boles of Lubbock.
Boles finished in second place and first-round leader Cole Sherwood finished in third place, five shots behind Sadagopan. Austin’s Jack Wehman and J. Holland Humphries finished in a tie for fourth place with a 5-over 149 tournament total.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Camarena led wire-to-wire at Brownwood Country Club. She upped her birdie total from the first round from five to six but had 5 bogeys to go along with it. She was able to hang on to her one shot lead that she had after the first round.
Camarena won by one shot over Sadie Englemann, who carded rounds of 71-70 for a 3-under tournament total. Austin’s Kaylee Vesely, in second place after the first round, followed up her 2-under 70 with an even-par 72 in the final round to finish in third place, two shots back of Camarena.
The top-5 finishers in the Boys 15-18 Division earned exemptions into the Byron Nelson Junior Championship at Lakewood Country Club in June. The top-5 finishers in the Girls 12-18 Division earned exemptions into the Texas Girls’ Invitational at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club in September.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes