Thothong Primed for Womens Stroke Play Championship
While the TGA continues to celebrate the greatest women in Texas golf history with the yearlong Breaking 100 campaign, today’s top amateurs will gather June 24-26 at Pine Forest Country Club in Houston for the second annual Women’s Stroke Play Championship.
The 54-hole stroke play tournament will go a long way toward determining the inaugural Women’s Player of the Year award winner. The Player of the Year will be decided based on a season-long points race. The two majors on the Women’s schedule – the WTGA State Amateur in July and the Women’s Stroke Play Championship – are more heavily weighted in Player of the Year points distribution.
Among the headliners of the event is Dallas native Megan Thothong, a sophomore at the University of Houston who finished second at last year’s Women’s Stroke Play Championship. She shot rounds of 68-73-72 to post even-par 213 at Eagle’s Bluff in Bullard. Thothong came up six shots short of winner Kaitlyn Papp from Austin.
“Kaitlyn played great,” said Thothong, who won her second tournament for UH this spring at the UNF Collegiate in March. “Last year my short game was lacking a lot. This year I’m focused on that and hoping for better results.”
Thothong said she hopes to finish one spot better this time around.
“I don’t sign up for a tournament if I don’t plan on winning,” she said. “I’ll put my best foot forward and see what happens. I’ll always try to play my best and hope that it’s good enough to beat everyone else in the field.”
The Women’s Stroke Play Championship was created in 2015 to identify the best female amateur in Texas in stroke play format. The exclusive field is limited to 78 players. In addition to the extra Player of the Year points awarded, the Women’s Stroke Play Championship also counts for points in the World Amateur Golf Rankings.
Thothong said she’s circled the event’s dates on her calendar.
“I think it’s a great tournament,” said Thothong, a three-time participant in the WTGA State Amateur. “They do a great job of picking great courses and mixing it up. I’m not competing every single week in the summers, so choosing events is really important to me. I always make sure get the WTGA State Am and Women’s Stroke Play Championship on my schedule. They’re great events and they always go to good courses.”
Pine Forest CC is a 27-hole facility located west Houston. It features narrow fairways and smallish greens that challenge players’ accuracy and trajectory. Old school in nature, Pine Forest is one of the best walking courses in Texas with greens and ensuing tee boxes in close proximity. For more information on the Women’s Stroke Play Championship, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes