Byron Nelson Junior Set For June 28-30
The Legends Junior Tour’s Byron Nelson Junior Championship, the LJT’s first Major Championship of the year, starts on June 28 and continues through June 30. The 54-hole event is returning to Lakewood Country Club for the 15th time.
Byron Nelson won the 1944 Victory Open, which became the Dallas Open and later the Byron Nelson Classic. As one of the most successful tournaments on the PGA Tour, the long and happy association between Lakewood and Nelson continued into the new millennium with the Byron Nelson Junior Classic Invitational.
Past champions include three-time winner Jordan Spieth, who won the 2015 Masters and U.S. Open Championship. Spieth won the Byron Nelson Junior Championship from 2008-10. In 2009, he set the Lakewood Country Club course record with a 9-under 62 in the second round. Ryan Baca, Alex Moon, Cody Gribble, Hunter Shattuck, Chandler Phillips are all former winners.
“The list of past champions of this event is very impressive,” said Kellen Kubasak, Director of Operations for the LJT. “Several have gone on to succeed at the collegiate, amateur and pro levels. We are looking forward to adding another name to the Byron Nelson Junior Championship trophy.”
The 78-player field will play 54 holes of stroke play competition. After 36 holes, the field is cut to the low 30 and ties for the final round. The tournament will be ranked by Golfweek, Junior Golf Scoreboard, and the World Amateur Golf Rankings. Numerous AJGA performance stars will be handed out to the top finishers of the Championship as well.
Known as being one of the strongest fields on the LJT schedule, this year’s Byron Nelson Junior Championship is no different. This year’s field consists of the defending Boys 15-18 Player of the Year, Pierceson Coody, who finished runner-up in last year’s championship, and four tournament winners on tour in the Boys 15-18 Division.
Thomas Critch won the Winter Classic in January, Turner Hosch won the Spring Preview in February, Brandon Hoff won the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic in March and Crosby Guercio won the Collegiate Preview in March.
Shuai Ming Wong and Chad Sewell are both coming off a top-15 finish at the Texas Amateur Championship at Oak Hills Country Club. James Thompson is coming off a tie for 23rd at the Texas Amateur Championship, while Brody Blackmon finished tied for 26th in San Antonio.
Opened in 1912, Lakewood is the second-oldest club in Dallas and was designed by Scotland native Thomas Bendelow, who also designed nearby Dallas CC and River Crest CC in Fort Worth. Though the course has seen several renovations since its inception, the designers responsible have stayed true to Bendelow’s original layout.
Live scoring will be available throughout the championship. First round play begins Tuesday, June 28 at 8:00 a.m. Spectators and media are welcome to attend.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes