Thothong Tied for the Lead After Round One
HOUSTON—Round one of the Women’s Stroke Play Championship began June 24 at Pine Forest Country Club with familiar faces on top of the leaderboard.
Pre-tournament favorite, Megan Thothong of Dallas, shot a 2-under 70 and is tied for the lead with Katharine Patrick of West University Place and Allie Anderson of The Woodlands.
Thothong, who plays for the University of Houston, began her round with an eagle on the first hole. The par-5 first was playing about 480 yards with no wind when Thothong teed off. Thothong said she hit a nice drive followed by a nice approach which left her with a tricky putt for eagle.
“I had about a 12-foot putt down the hill so I made that for eagle,” Thothong said. “That was probably a really big part of my round today and that kind of helped push me forward in trying to keep that momentum and pace going.”
Tied with Thothong at 2-under is Patrick who plays for the University of Virginia. The key to Patrick’s round came down to her short game.
“My putting was really good. I felt really confident over putts and just felt like I was going to make it every time I was over the ball,” Patrick said.
Patrick’s sentiments seemed to be the exception rather than rule as many of the players said that the greens were fast and difficult to read. Thothong was one of them.
“The greens were a lot faster than in the practice round so they were pretty tough. A lot of little breaks here and there around the holes,” Thothong said.
The greens were not the only challenge out on the course today. Pine Forest’s fairways are also lined with trees on both sides allowing little room for error on tee shots. At the end of the first round there were only six players out of a field of 66 that finished under par. Round two begins at 8 a.m. on June 25.
The Women’s Stroke Play Championship marks the third Women’s TGA tournament of the 2016 season and the third tournament celebrating 100 years of the founding of the Women’s Texas Golf Association. The Breaking 100 campaign highlights this important milestone. The program includes a several fundraising campaigns including the “100 Holes of Women’s Competition”. Players have the opportunity to raise funds for the TGA Foundation’s Women’s Initiatives by pledging to play 100 holes of competitive golf in 2016.
One player is competing in this week’s tournament. Karen Northcutt completed the first 18 holes of her pledge today. Northcutt shot an 11-over 83 and is tied for 42nd.
If you would like to contribute to the Breaking 100 campaign you can do so by visiting TexasBreaking100.org. You can also follow the WTGA on Instagram and Twitter (@WTGA1916) to keep up-to-date with the celebrations.
For more information click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes