Thothong in Solo First after Dominating Day
HOUSTON- Megan Thothong of Dallas shot a 5-under 67 and sits solely atop the leaderboard at 7-under for the tournament after round two play at the Women’s Stroke Play Championship.
Thothong’s continued dominance did not come easy despite her impressive score. The first 15 holes of her round seemed to be going according to plan but then a heavy rain shower hit Pine Forest Country Club while Thothong was playing the par-3 16th. She was undeterred.
“I stayed really patient which was really good,” Thothong said. “My longer irons weren’t as sharp as I would have liked them to be but I shot a 67 so I can’t complain.”
Thothong began the day sitting at 2-under in a three-way tie for the lead. She said her putting during round one needed to improve. Now at 7-under with a three shot lead over the field, Thothong said she thinks her putting is back.
“My putting was better today so that helped a lot. I felt really comfortable on the greens over the ball,” Thothong said.
It could have helped that Thothong was playing with her new teammate, Allie Anderson of The Woodlands. Anderson is transferring to the University of Houston this season from Colorado State University. It seemed the team chemistry was already clicking as both players are inside the top five. Anderson was even par on the day and 2-under for the tournament.
Despite Thothong’s three shot lead, there are several players within striking distance. Right behind Thothong is Sugarland’s Amber Wang who plays at Princeton.
Wang started the day at even par. She was just 1-under making the turn to the back nine and then piled on the birdies from there. She is now in solo second at 4-under for the tournament.
“Yesterday I had a lot of birdies and a lot of bogeys. I knew I could shoot low it was just a matter of getting rid of all of those mistakes,” Wang said. “Today I just was a lot more consistent and I knew that if I just kept on hitting consistent shots it would just come together.”
Wang and Thothong were fortunate enough to complete their rounds before play was suspended by lightning. Play stopped at 12:53 p.m. and resumed 85 minutes later at 2:17 p.m. It was smooth sailing from there despite the low hanging dark clouds that lingered over the course.
At the end of round two, 31 players made the championship flight to compete for the title in round three.
Wang is excited for the chance to play for the title and said winning would mean a lot to her since she is playing in her home state of Texas.
“I haven’t been home in a long time and just being away and coming back home to Texas and winning in my home state would be great,” Wang said.
Wang and Thothong will be paired together for the championship round and will tee off at 8 a.m.
Throughout the tournament, the Women’s TGA will continue to celebrate 100 years of their service. The Breaking 100 campaign highlights this important milestone. The program includes many fundraising activities including the “100 Holes of Women’s Competition”. Players have the opportunity to raise funds for the TGA Foundation’s Women’s Initiatives by pledging to play 100 holes of competitive golf in 2016.
One player who took the pledge added 18 more holes to her total after today’s round. Karen Northcutt has now done 36 out of her 100 pledged holes. She shot a 14-over 83 today.
If you would like to contribute to the Breaking 100 campaign you can do so by visiting TexasBreaking100.org. You can also follow the WTGA on Instagram and Twitter (@WTGA1916) to keep up-to-date with the celebrations.
For more information click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes