Wong, Roden Tied at the Top at The Byron Nelson Junior
DALLAS- Shuai Ming Wong, 16, of Houston and Scott Roden, 14, of Dallas are tied atop the leaderboard at the Byron Nelson Junior Championship after both shot 4-under-par 67 in the first round.
The tournament is being held at the spectacular Lakewood Country Club, a place with which Roden is quite familiar. He and his family are members.
“I was really comfortable on the course and knew the lines to hit,” Roden said. “I just feel comfortable hitting the shots I needed to hit on the holes I needed to hit them.”
Roden’s knowledge of the course gave him a nice edge over the field, as he recorded four birdies with no bogeys on the day.
“I hit a bunch of fairways and a bunch of greens and didn’t make many mistakes and rolled a few in,” Roden said.
Soon after Roden turned in his score, Wong followed with his 67. Wong’s round was less consistent than Roden’s, although it all added up to the same number at the end of the day.
“I bogeyed hole two which was my 11th hole and I felt like I was rushing,” Wong said. “Then I tried to get some momentum coming back and then we had the rain delay.”
An unexpected thunderstorm suspended play at 12:20 p.m. and left some players with half of their round left to play. The storm lingered over the course for almost three hours but play finally resumed at 3 p.m. That kind of lengthy delay can take its toll on a player’s focus, but Wong did his best to stay in the zone.
“I prepared everything for this golf course and this tournament but I just didn’t expect rain,” Wong said. “I tried my best to stay in form and keep my energy level up and when I came out I struggled with my ball striking. I just told myself to finish strong.”
Wong certainly did. He birdied holes 17 and 18 to tie Roden for the lead.
“I was so lucky to make birdie on 17 and 18,” Wong said. “I was just happy that they dropped.”
Wong credits this kind of confidence to his 13th place finish earlier this month at the 107th Texas Amateur presented by Insperity. He said that Oak Hills Country Club in San Antonio, the club where the amateur was held, was similar to Lakewood and that he planned to attack this course the same way that he did during the amateur.
However, Wong said that his main goal is just to enjoy the game, a sentiment that every golfer should remember.
“That’s the ultimate goal in this game that you just play your best golf and try not to let the leaderboard or the score distract you,” Wong said. “Just play with passion and play with love for the game.”
Tied at third place, one shot behind Wong and Roden, are Kyle Robinson from Fayetteville, Ark., and Sixian Guo from Coppell. Robinson and Guo each shot 3-under 68. Four players are tied for fifth place at 2-under 69.
For more information, including complete scores, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes