Wong, Roden Tied at the Top at The Byron Nelson Junior
DALLAS- Shuai Ming Wong, 16, of Houston and Scott Roden, 14, of Dallas are tied atop the leaderboard at the Byron Nelson Junior Championship after both shot 4-under-par 67 in the first round.
The tournament is being held at the spectacular Lakewood Country Club, a place with which Roden is quite familiar. He and his family are members.
“I was really comfortable on the course and knew the lines to hit,” Roden said. “I just feel comfortable hitting the shots I needed to hit on the holes I needed to hit them.”
Roden’s knowledge of the course gave him a nice edge over the field, as he recorded four birdies with no bogeys on the day.
“I hit a bunch of fairways and a bunch of greens and didn’t make many mistakes and rolled a few in,” Roden said.
Soon after Roden turned in his score, Wong followed with his 67. Wong’s round was less consistent than Roden’s, although it all added up to the same number at the end of the day.
“I bogeyed hole two which was my 11th hole and I felt like I was rushing,” Wong said. “Then I tried to get some momentum coming back and then we had the rain delay.”
An unexpected thunderstorm suspended play at 12:20 p.m. and left some players with half of their round left to play. The storm lingered over the course for almost three hours but play finally resumed at 3 p.m. That kind of lengthy delay can take its toll on a player’s focus, but Wong did his best to stay in the zone.
“I prepared everything for this golf course and this tournament but I just didn’t expect rain,” Wong said. “I tried my best to stay in form and keep my energy level up and when I came out I struggled with my ball striking. I just told myself to finish strong.”
Wong certainly did. He birdied holes 17 and 18 to tie Roden for the lead.
“I was so lucky to make birdie on 17 and 18,” Wong said. “I was just happy that they dropped.”
Wong credits this kind of confidence to his 13th place finish earlier this month at the 107th Texas Amateur presented by Insperity. He said that Oak Hills Country Club in San Antonio, the club where the amateur was held, was similar to Lakewood and that he planned to attack this course the same way that he did during the amateur.
However, Wong said that his main goal is just to enjoy the game, a sentiment that every golfer should remember.
“That’s the ultimate goal in this game that you just play your best golf and try not to let the leaderboard or the score distract you,” Wong said. “Just play with passion and play with love for the game.”
Tied at third place, one shot behind Wong and Roden, are Kyle Robinson from Fayetteville, Ark., and Sixian Guo from Coppell. Robinson and Guo each shot 3-under 68. Four players are tied for fifth place at 2-under 69.
For more information, including complete scores, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes