Valadez Fires Second Round 66 to Claim Solo Lead at Byron Nelson Junior
DALLAS—Levi Valadez of San Antonio shot a 5-under-par 66 on Wednesday to become the outright leader after the second round at the Byron Nelson Junior Championship.
Valadez started the day at Lakewood Country Club two shots off the lead at 2-under 69. Six birdies later and he now has a two-shot lead over the field.
“I just played really well,” Valadez said. “I just had one mistake on the front nine, but besides that everything else was pretty solid. I am excited for tomorrow.”
Valadez said he can draw confidence from his two consecutive appearances at the U.S. Junior Amateur to help him through Thursday’s final round in the 54-hole, stroke play championship.
Before the day started, Valadez was chasing co-leaders, Shuai Ming Wong of Houston and Scott Roden of Dallas. Roden finished the day at 3-over and is tied for sixth. Wong had a better round than his playing partner but could not quite keep up pace with Valadez. He shot a 1-under 72 and is tied for second place with Plano’s Parker Coody, who made the biggest move in the second round.
Coody shot a 6-under 65 and moved four places up the leaderboard into a tie for second. The winner of the 2014 Texas State Junior Championship, Coody capped off his solid round with a difficult eagle putt on the par-5 17th that he made look easy.
“I was hitting a 2-iron off the tee, had a good number, hit another 2-iron to about 15 feet or so from the hole, and then I made that,” Coody said. “It was a pretty big moment.”
Tied with Coody for lowest score of the day was Sam Clayman of Dallas. He started the second round 6-over and seemingly out of contention. Then he rolled in six birdies with no bogeys to get his overall score back to even par. The key to Clayman’s round was not only his solid shot-making, but also the solid advice he got from his caddie, Will Zalatoris, an LJT veteran and winner of the 105th Texas Amateur presented by Insperity and 2014 U.S. Junior Amateur who is now a sophomore at Wake Forest.
“Having Will on the bag this week has been good so far. He’s just had extra knowledge that has definitely helped me this week for sure,” Clayman said. “He’s been through as many junior tournaments as you could count and just obviously his experience has helped me with my confidence.”
Zalatoris guided Clayman to stay patient and hit fairways and greens without being overly aggressive. This seemed to be good advice, as Clay rolled in two 20-foot birdies, one 35-footer on the third hole and one 50-footer up the hill on the par-4 18th, his ninth hole of the day. In all, Zalatoris estimated Clayman rolled in 150 feet worth of putts.
The final round of the Byron Nelson Junior starts tomorrow at 8 a.m. at Lakewood Country Club. Thirty-two players of the original 78 made the 36-hole cut at 3-over or better on Wednesday.
For more information, including scores click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes