Valadez Wins Byron Nelson Junior Championship in Playoff
DALLAS—Levi Valadez of San Antonio won a one-hole playoff against Plano’s Parker Coody to win the prestigious Byron Nelson Junior Championship at venerable Lakewood Country Club.
Valadez, who has committed to Kansas State, was the 36-hole leader and looked poised to win going away after he took a commanding three-shot lead with six holes to play. However, the leaderboard got a little tighter when Valadez doubled-bogeyed the par-4 16th. His lead diminished to one shot, and that advantage remained until the final hole.
After an errant tee shot, Valadez found himself in the trees. His approach to the 18th green landed in the back bunker. This left the door slightly open for Coody who was just one back. Valadez hit a nice bunker shot and was about 10 feet away from the hole. If he knocked it in, he would’ve become champion without any drama. However, that was not the case. Valadez bogeyed his final hole and Coody made par, so the champion would have to be decided in a playoff. Valdez finished with a 1-over 72 in the final round. Coody posted 1-under 70.
The Coody family is no stranger to playoffs at the Byron Nelson Junior Championship. His twin brother Pierceson lost to Lewisville’s Ryan Grider last year in extra holes. Pierceson was proved to be valuable as a caddie for his brother today.
On the other side, Valadez had to regroup after giving up his lead on the final hole. His caddie, K-State’s Ben Fernandez, gave Valadez some calming advice.
“My caddie just told me to slow down and take deep breaths and you know, it’s in the past you can’t really change it so I was just looking forward from there,” Valadez said.
The playoff would consist of replaying the 18th hole until one player became champion. Valadez just needed one extra trip on the downhill par 4.
After Coody three-putted for a bogey, Valadez was left with a short putt for par. He made no mistake this time and rolled it in to become the 2016 Byron Nelson Junior Champion.
“I came out here and I played really well,” Valadez said. “I had one bad hole on the back nine but besides that I had a lot of fun today so I was happy.”
It should be no surprise that Valadez won this tournament. He just came off another win at the Patrick Reed Junior Championship down in The Woodlands. Not a bad summer.
“I just came off a win in the Woodlands so I was pretty confident with my game,” Valadez said. “I just knew if I hit decent shots and got on the green, I was putting confidently and I think that was a very big determining factor in this win.”
As for Coody, he has a bright future ahead of him. Although only juniors in high school, he and his brother already have committed to play at the University of Texas.
On hand to watch the dramatic finish was Peggy Nelson, the late Byron Nelson’s wife. Peggy tries to make it to every Byron Nelson Junior event. She said she keeps coming because of all the young talent.
“I have been coming out here to watch the boys play and getting to know [Jordan Spieth] a little bit when he was playing three years in a row. It’s really fun to see,” Nelson said. “The boys are all not only well trained in terms of golf but they’re so polite and such good examples for other kids coming up behind them to emulate and to enjoy playing this great game.”
Nelson has already planned to be in attendance for next year’s Byron Nelson Junior Championship which is sure to be another great tournament.
Shaui Ming Wong from The Woodlands finished in third place at 5-under 208. Beshoory Pryce of Pearland was fourth at 4-under 209. Flower Mound’s Dawson Lewis took fifth place at 3-under 210.
The Legends Junior Tour extends its most sincere gratitude to the staff and members of Lakewood Country Club, as well as our volunteers, for their efforts in making the Byron Nelson Junior Championship another great success. For more information, including complete scoring, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes