Mark and Andrew Lindberg Win Father-Son in Playoff
HORSESHOE BAY- Mark and Andrew Lindberg of Coppell won the 2016 Father-Son Championship in dramatic fashion after a one-hole playoff with Cameron and Dean Brown of Jacksonville.
The Lindbergs breezed through their second round shooting 6-under for the day which moved them to 11-under for the championship on the Apple Rock course at Horseshoe Bay Resort. They easily made the cut, which was 3-over, to stay inside the Championship flight. Those who did not make the cut entered into the Presidents flight. However, with the cut came new rules for those who made it. Instead of playing gross four-ball like they had been in the past two rounds, teams now had to play a combined score. This made things interesting for the Lindbergs as they watched their six shot cushion between them and field slowly dwindle throughout the day.
The Browns started the day tied for third at 4-under for the championship, seven shots back of the Lindbergs. Dean Brown, the father in the duo, made up some ground when he shot a 2-over 74 in his final round. His son, Cameron, added with a 4-over 76. Their total score on for the championship was a combined 290. The Lindbergs still looked to run away with the victory until it came time to turn in their scores. Andrew Lindberg shot an 8-over 80 and his father, Mark, shot a 5-over 77. This also added up to a total championship score of 290. A playoff would ensue on the first hole.
Both teams struggled to find their best form in the playoff. Cameron Brown was on the green in two and looked to have a makeable birdie putt. However, his dad found the trees not once but twice. He finally got out of trouble by doing an innovative behind the back shot to get the ball back in the middle of the fairway. By the time he chipped it up to the green, his best case scenario would be to putt in for double bogey. The Lindberg’s also did not have an easy route to the green. Both hit fairly good tee shots but had some problems with their approaches. Mark Lindberg found the green-side bunker with his approach and Andrew missed the green slightly right.
Mark Lindberg was able to get out of the bunker and get to within 15 feet of the hole. Andrew had an easier chip and got within 10 feet. His dad missed his putt but Andrew knocked his in for par. If Cameron Brown made his birdie putt, there would have been another playoff hole yet to play. However, the drama ended when he missed his putt giving the Lindbergs the victory.
In the Presidents flight, David and Jordan Jones shot the lowest round of their flight with a 7-under 65. This was enough to secure them the win.
In the Hogan flight, 36 hole leaders, Joe and Joey Quirk tied with Mark and Mason Busbee. Both teams shot 54-hole scores of 205.
There was another tie in the Nelson flight. The 36-hole leaders of Trey and Jace Caldwell and the leaders after the first round, Charles and Lee Thorton, fittingly tied after completion of the final round. They both shot 54-hole combined scores of 200.
In the Crenshaw flight, Tyler and Larry Wright shot an 8-under 64 for their final round and had a 54-hole score of 14-under, two strokes better than second place finishers, Ken and Jackson Sampson.
David A. Cash and his son, David J. Cash, shot the lowest net round of the tournament in the Kite flight. There round of 59 gave them a total 54-hole score of 199 and a flight victory. David J. Cash, the son in the duo, shot two natural eagles and with one of the eagles on hole 10 turning into a net double eagle with the help of their handicap scoring.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes