Jeter, Wyatt Co-lead 2016 West Texas Amateur After Round Two
LUBBOCK- Jarred Jeter of College Station and Andrew Wyatt of Midland are tied for the lead at the 2016 West Texas.
It was moving day this Saturday on the Rawls Course at Texas Tech. Micah Rogers of Odessa was probably the most notable mover after he fired a 6-under 66 to move all the way up to second place behind Wyatt and Jeter. Rogers, who went out during the morning, started his day 2–under and eight strokes back of then lone leader, Jarred Jeter. After six birdies, he sits at 8-under for the championship and three strokes back of the lead.
Rounding out the top five were Baxter Ward of Nacogdoches, Jason Fitzgerald of Wichita Falls, Devin Jackson of Longview and George Gardner of Southlake. They are all tied in the fourth spot at 6-under for the championship.
The wind punished the afternoon wave with gusts climbing up to 27 miles per hour. This made Jeter’s score of a 1-under 71 an honorable feat and Wyatt’s 5-under 67 almost unimaginable.
“Today I played smart. I got a good round in the wind,” Wyatt said. “I kept it simple and just tried to make no bogeys and every now and again you make a birdie and that helps.”
Wyatt indeed kept it simple. He reiterated that his game plan was to hit the ball and then go find it to hit it again. This simplicity was key to his round as he carded three birdies, no bogeys and an eagle on the par-5 17th. Jeter, his co-leader, did not share the same sentiments.
“It was brutal out there, night and day from yesterday,” Jeter said. “I am a little bit disappointed in [my score] just because I kept bouncing back in forth and never was staying solid.”
Jeter accurately described his round as up-and-down. He was 2-under for the day heading into 14 but a double bogey saw him shoot back down to even. Then he went birdie, bogey, birdie on holes 15, 16 and 17 to obtain his final score of 1-under. Based on the windy conditions Jeter will gladly take that score and the 36-hole co-lead at 11-under for the tournament.
In the Senior Division Sandlin Lee of Dallas, who was tied at the top to begin his second round, became the sole leader despite a 1-over round. He sits at 2-under for the championship. Mickey Jones of Odessa is the Senior division mover of the day. He started the day 2-over but after blasting five birdies and surviving two bogeys for a round of a 3-under 69, he sits at sole second and one behind Lee.
In the Super Senior division, Patrick Pritchett of Lubbock continued his dominance by shooting even par. He remains 1-over for the championship and has a three-shot lead over the rest of the field in the Super Senior division. Michael Hastings of Waxahachie and Don Grider of Georgetown both stayed neck and neck with Pritchett throughout the second round and equaled his score with even par on the day. They both are currently in second place at 4-over for the championship.
At the end of round two play, the field was cut to the top 72 players and ties. That number was then divided up based on scores within each division. The Open division saw the top 50 and ties make the cut, the Senior division saw 15 and the Super Senior saw seven. All players that made the cut will tee off tomorrow morning and will compete to become the champions of their respective divisions.
For more information, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes