Top Two Seeds Fall at Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play
Top Two Seeds Fall at Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play
Dallas – Top two seeds fall in the 2016 Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play at Northwood Club.
The round of 32 began Friday morning with number one overall seed and Northwood Club member, Culley Barragan looking to advance to the next 16 against Jeff Wolff, who played 7 additional holes on Thursday just to earn the right to play in the match.
Barragan of Dallas was down early in his match versus Jeff Wolff, also from Dallas, before he won three straight holes to take a 1 up lead headed into the eleventh hole. However, those were his last holes won as Wolff tool three of the next seven holes and closed the match on the 17th with bogeys for both players to win 2 and 1.
Wolff squared off with Zach Atkinson, Colleyville, in the afternoon in the round 16. Zach played John Schaefer in the morning and only lost two holes on the day for a 3 and 2 victory. However, like his morning match, Zach kept the opposition quiet by only allowing Jeff Wolff to win one hole on the day. Zach’s 4 and 3 victory squares him up against Christopher Wheeler in the quarterfinals. Wheeler defeated Richmond’s John Dowdall 2 & 1 in the round of 32 in the morning and Dallas’ Sean McCauley Jr. in the quarters 3 & 2.
The other survivor of the 11 for 2 playoff after the Stroke Play qualifying round, Gary Ezmerlian, of Fort Worth, had a date with the second overall seed John Derrick from Waco.
Their match featured steady play from both players but Ezmerlian’s stretch of one under par golf between holes six through eleven allowed him to gain a four up advantage with just seven holes remaining. Derrick however, fought back and won three straight to just have a one hole disadvantage with just two to play. Emzerlian though parred his way in to grab a one up victory.
Ezmerlian squared off in the afternoon with Brett Forte, also of Fort Worth and he took the first two holes. However, Ezmerlian won five of the next seven holes to take a three up lead at the turn. An up and down back nine ended up seeing Ezmerlian win 3&2.
Ezmerlian’s next match will be against Dallas’ Josh Irving the reigning North Region and State Player of the Year. Josh beat Barrett Sandefur 2&1 in the morning and defeated Brian Noonan of Austin, 5 &4, to close out the day.
Austin’s Jay Reynolds recorded a hole-in-one of the 187 yard par three 16th with a 5-iron that took one bounce that went straight into the cup. Reynolds made mention that his shot looked perfect in air only to not find it on the green when they arrived. After scanning the back portion of the green, the ball was found in the cup. Reynolds used that momentum and closed out Beau Davis with a birdie on the 17th for a 2 and 1 victory.
Reynolds’ afternoon match was against a Northwood member and Dallas native, Ryan Hanratty. The match was tight the entire duration and even saw in extended to extra holes where Reynolds’ par, saw him through the quarters.
Scott Abbott, of Dallas, used a nine hole score of 30 early in the morning to have a 6 up lead into the turn versus Dallas’ Austin McDaniel. Abbott closed the match with pars on the 13th for a 6&5 victory. Abbott’s front nine score included birdies on four of the last five holes before heading to the back nine at Northwood Club.
The highest seed remaining is San Antonio’s Colby Harwell who beat Fort Worth’s Will Osborne 1 up in the Round of 32. His afternoon match however, was much tighter battle. Scott Abbott and Colby Harwell were four under par and all square after eighteen holes. After 20 holes though, Harwell’s birdie on the 553 yard par five, 2nd saw him outlast Abbott.
Quarterfinal matches will begin at 7:30 am off the 1st tee on Saturday. The victors will play again in the afternoon in the semifinals for their right to play for the championship on Sunday morning. For complete results, please click here
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes
- We’re just getting started! Round 2 of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur is underway! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
for live scores, match pairings and more: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 Likes