Tomanka Wins Girls 14 and Under, Vo Wins Boys 14 and Under
THE WOODLANDS- Gabriella Tomanka of Grapevine shot a 3-over 75 to hold on and win the Girls 14 & under division at 1-over for the championship. Similarly, Evan Vo of Austin shot a 4-under 68 to win the boys 14 & under at the 2016 Texas State Junior Championship presented by Merrill Lynch.
Clouds covered the The Panther Trail course at The Woodlands Resort today as the younger boys and girls began their final rounds, a theme that shaped the tournament. Yesterday, play was suspended twice thanks to looming storms and lightning. The boys were unable to complete their first rounds because of it and had to pick up this morning where they left off when the final suspension of play was called. Once they finished their first rounds most of them had to immediately proceed to their final round tee times on the first tee with the knowledge that the same threat that halted their first round was still prevalent. Before the storms had a chance to strike, Tomanka was able to create her own bit of lightning when she went wire-to-wire to win the the girls 14 & under division.
Tomanka, a 14-year-old, shot her lowest combined score to secure the victory in her first Legends Junior Tour event ever.
“It’s really cool because it’s my first legends tournament and it’s one of my best total scores ever,” Tomanka said.
Her first round was nothing short of remarkable. She shot the lowest score of her division and looked primed to take the championship, however, with the conditions being what they were during the second round securing the victory came as a challenge.
Yesterday, she saw five birdies in her round. Today, she only saw one granted that birdie came in the form of a nice chip in on the tenth hole. Once she drained that she could feel the victory within her grasp.
“Today it was all about making pars and I had a chip in which was my one birdie,” Tomanka said. “It did increase my confidence and it helped my score.”
Tomanka is now undefeated in Legends Junior Tour play after her Texas State Junior Tour 14 & under division victory. Although it was just her first event, it is wise to assume there will be more.
Rounding out the top three in the 14 & under division was Zoe Slaughter of Houston who was 4-over for the championship and Kiona Hsiu of Missouri City who was 7-over.
In the Boys 14 & under division, Evan Vo came from behind and took the championship with a final round score of 4-under 68 and a tournament combined score of 6-under 138.
As mentioned, the competitors in the Boys 14 & under division had to complete their first rounds today as well as play their final rounds. Entering his final round, Vo was 2-under and five back of then leader Jackson Davenport, but after birdieing five holes and only bogeying one he cushioned himself a nice lead. His 6-under for the tournament was two strokes better than Davenport’s 4-under.
Vo said he was able to win this battle of attrition by staying patient and having some luck on his side.
“It took a little patience but it is what it is and it wasn’t too bad though,” Vo said. “I hit some decent drives but some of them were bad. I was just lucky I missed them in the right spot.”
At the ripe old age of 13, Vo said that this win means a lot for his future golf career.
“It’s a big confidence booster to come out and win a Legends event,” Vo said. “Even though I am not hitting my drives well it shows that I can rely on my short game a lot more than I thought I did.”
Rounding out the top three was Davenport at second and Lucas Borrero of Cypress at third who was 3-under for the tournament.
For more information about the Girls 15-18 division, click here.
For more information about the Girls 14 and under division, click here.
For more information about the Boys 14 and under division, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes