Simmerman Comes From Behind to Win the South Amateur
LOST PINES – Danny Simmerman comes from behind to claim the 2016 South Amateur Championship at Wolfdancer Golf Club in Lost Pines, and his second South Regional Championship of the season. With a 54-hole total of 4-under par 212, and a final round score of even par 72, Simmerman sealed a four stroke victory.
Simmerman, of Shavano Park, started his round one back of the overnight leader Brady Price. Simmerman attributed his stellar play to his attitude. “I didn’t get a chance to play a practice round so I tried to stay conservative and learn the golf course”. Simmerman carded two birdies and a bogey on his opening nine to turn at 1-under par on the day, 5-under par for the Championship. “The ball striking got a little shaky on that back nine.” Simmerman began his second nine with a bogey on the par four 10th and he followed it up with another on the par four 13th. “I was able to hang around to make some putts. I was able to close it out with my short game.”
Simmerman’s fellow competitors in the final pairing left the door wide open for him. Price and Andrew Jacobe carded a 78 and 77, respectively. Both Price and Jacobe finished in a tie for third place with Nicholas Cristea, of Houston.
The overnight leader, Price kept his momentum going and got to 6-under for the Championship with a birdie on the par five third, but the wheels fell off after that. Price, of The Woodlands, would go on to double his next hole, the par three fourth. He went on to bogey three of the remaining five holes on his opening nine. Price’s struggles continued on his second nine with two more bogies. He was able to get something going with birdies on holes 14 and 16, but he gave the strokes right back with a double bogey on the par three 17th.
Jacobe, of Houston, started his round of one stroke back of Price and tied with Simmerman. Jacobe didn’t get off to a good start and he bogeyed his opening two holes. He went on to birdie the par five third but he couldn’t keep it going. Jacobe carded nine total bogies and finished with a 54 hole total of 217.
Austin’s Jake Hendrix posted a final round even par 72 to finish in second place alone at even par 216. Hendrix had three bogies to go along with three birdies in his final round to move up the leaderboard. Hendrix, a member of the Stephen F. Austin State University Men’s Golf Team, began the final round in solo 6th before making his climb to Runner-Up.
Simmerman is the first individual in the Texas Golf Association South Regional Series to hold both the South Amateur title and the South Mid-Amateur title in the same year. Simmerman claimed this year’s South Mid-Amateur at Eagle Pointe Golf Club, in Mont Belvieu. “Winning both of them is special for me. Thursday was the two year anniversary of my dad passing away. I was thinking of him out there all day today.”
The Texas Golf Association extends their appreciation to the membership and staff of Wolfdancer Golf Club for their gracious efforts in hosting this year’s championship.
For final results and additional information from the 2016 South Amateur Championship, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes