Simmerman Comes From Behind to Win the South Amateur
LOST PINES – Danny Simmerman comes from behind to claim the 2016 South Amateur Championship at Wolfdancer Golf Club in Lost Pines, and his second South Regional Championship of the season. With a 54-hole total of 4-under par 212, and a final round score of even par 72, Simmerman sealed a four stroke victory.
Simmerman, of Shavano Park, started his round one back of the overnight leader Brady Price. Simmerman attributed his stellar play to his attitude. “I didn’t get a chance to play a practice round so I tried to stay conservative and learn the golf course”. Simmerman carded two birdies and a bogey on his opening nine to turn at 1-under par on the day, 5-under par for the Championship. “The ball striking got a little shaky on that back nine.” Simmerman began his second nine with a bogey on the par four 10th and he followed it up with another on the par four 13th. “I was able to hang around to make some putts. I was able to close it out with my short game.”
Simmerman’s fellow competitors in the final pairing left the door wide open for him. Price and Andrew Jacobe carded a 78 and 77, respectively. Both Price and Jacobe finished in a tie for third place with Nicholas Cristea, of Houston.
The overnight leader, Price kept his momentum going and got to 6-under for the Championship with a birdie on the par five third, but the wheels fell off after that. Price, of The Woodlands, would go on to double his next hole, the par three fourth. He went on to bogey three of the remaining five holes on his opening nine. Price’s struggles continued on his second nine with two more bogies. He was able to get something going with birdies on holes 14 and 16, but he gave the strokes right back with a double bogey on the par three 17th.
Jacobe, of Houston, started his round of one stroke back of Price and tied with Simmerman. Jacobe didn’t get off to a good start and he bogeyed his opening two holes. He went on to birdie the par five third but he couldn’t keep it going. Jacobe carded nine total bogies and finished with a 54 hole total of 217.
Austin’s Jake Hendrix posted a final round even par 72 to finish in second place alone at even par 216. Hendrix had three bogies to go along with three birdies in his final round to move up the leaderboard. Hendrix, a member of the Stephen F. Austin State University Men’s Golf Team, began the final round in solo 6th before making his climb to Runner-Up.
Simmerman is the first individual in the Texas Golf Association South Regional Series to hold both the South Amateur title and the South Mid-Amateur title in the same year. Simmerman claimed this year’s South Mid-Amateur at Eagle Pointe Golf Club, in Mont Belvieu. “Winning both of them is special for me. Thursday was the two year anniversary of my dad passing away. I was thinking of him out there all day today.”
The Texas Golf Association extends their appreciation to the membership and staff of Wolfdancer Golf Club for their gracious efforts in hosting this year’s championship.
For final results and additional information from the 2016 South Amateur Championship, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes