Team Texas Tries for Fifth USGA Men's State Team Title
DALLAS—The Texas Golf Association on Thursday announced the members and captain who will represent the Lone Star State in the 2016 USGA Men’s State Team Championship, to be played Sept. 28-30 at the Country Club of Birmingham in Birmingham, Ala.
Scott Abbott and Joshua Irving of Dallas and Zach Atkinson of Colleyville will attempt to win Texas its fifth USGA Men’s State Team title since the event began 21 years ago. Current TGA President Jim Brown of Dallas will serve as captain of Team Texas.
Texas has owned the USGA Men’s State Team Championships ever since the event began. Played biennially since 1995, Texas in 2014 won its record fourth title. Atkinson, Colby Harwell and Aaron Hickman combined to shoot 4-under-par 428 over 54 holes in the unique, three-players-for-two-scores stroke play format. The Texas team also won titles in 1999, 2005 and ’07. No other state has won more than two Men’s State Team Championships.
Sanctioned with selecting the state’s representatives, the TGA utilizes a two-year cumulative points system based on top finishes in TGA Statewide and USGA National Championships. The points-earning period began with the 2014 U.S. Amateur and concluded July 25, following the conclusion of the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play and U.S. Amateur qualifying.
Atkinson will make his second straight appearance on the statewide team and hopes for repeat outcome. He earned his way back on the team with his recent Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play victory and top-5s at the 107th Texas Amateur presented by Insperity, the 2015 Texas Mid-Amateur and 2016 Texas Four-Ball. Abbott, the 2015 Mid-Amateur Champion, and Irving, the 2015 Texas Player of the Year, join Atkinson as new team members.
Abbott also helped his case with a tie for sixth at the 107th Texas Amateur, a semifinals appearance at the 2015 Mid-Amateur Match Play and a tie for eighth at the 2014 Texas Mid-Amateur.
Irving played his way on Team Texas with an eighth-place finish at the 2015 Texas Mid-Amateur, a quarterfinals appearance at the 2015 U.S. Mid-Amateur, a tie for second at the 2016 Texas Four-Ball and a top-15 performance at the 2014 Texas Mid-Amateur.
Founded in 1898, the Country Club of Birmingham boasts two magnificent 18-hole courses designed by Donald Ross. The USGA State Team will play the West Course, built in 1929. The course was remodeled in 1958 by Robert Trent Jones, Sr., and again in 1986 by Pete Dye. This will be the second USGA championship conducted on the West Course in three years following Mike McCoy’s victory in the 2013 U.S. Mid-Amateur.
The format for the Men’s State Team is three rounds of 18-hole stroke play, with the two lowest scores from each three-person team constituting the team score for each round. The three-day total is the team’s score for the championship.
The Men’s State Team, as well as the Women’s State Team, grew out of the USGA Centennial in 1995. USGA officials believed that a new championship, one in which each state, along with the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, could be represented by amateur, non-college golfers, was an appropriate way to cap their yearlong celebration. The competition proved to be such a success that it was agreed to continue to administer the championships every two years, in odd-numbered years.
After more than ten years of staging the championships concurrently, the decision was made in 2010 to conduct the competitions in alternate years, with the Men’s State Team Championship held in even years and the Women’s State Team in odd years.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes