Team Texas Tries for Fifth USGA Men's State Team Title
DALLAS—The Texas Golf Association on Thursday announced the members and captain who will represent the Lone Star State in the 2016 USGA Men’s State Team Championship, to be played Sept. 28-30 at the Country Club of Birmingham in Birmingham, Ala.
Scott Abbott and Joshua Irving of Dallas and Zach Atkinson of Colleyville will attempt to win Texas its fifth USGA Men’s State Team title since the event began 21 years ago. Current TGA President Jim Brown of Dallas will serve as captain of Team Texas.
Texas has owned the USGA Men’s State Team Championships ever since the event began. Played biennially since 1995, Texas in 2014 won its record fourth title. Atkinson, Colby Harwell and Aaron Hickman combined to shoot 4-under-par 428 over 54 holes in the unique, three-players-for-two-scores stroke play format. The Texas team also won titles in 1999, 2005 and ’07. No other state has won more than two Men’s State Team Championships.
Sanctioned with selecting the state’s representatives, the TGA utilizes a two-year cumulative points system based on top finishes in TGA Statewide and USGA National Championships. The points-earning period began with the 2014 U.S. Amateur and concluded July 25, following the conclusion of the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play and U.S. Amateur qualifying.
Atkinson will make his second straight appearance on the statewide team and hopes for repeat outcome. He earned his way back on the team with his recent Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play victory and top-5s at the 107th Texas Amateur presented by Insperity, the 2015 Texas Mid-Amateur and 2016 Texas Four-Ball. Abbott, the 2015 Mid-Amateur Champion, and Irving, the 2015 Texas Player of the Year, join Atkinson as new team members.
Abbott also helped his case with a tie for sixth at the 107th Texas Amateur, a semifinals appearance at the 2015 Mid-Amateur Match Play and a tie for eighth at the 2014 Texas Mid-Amateur.
Irving played his way on Team Texas with an eighth-place finish at the 2015 Texas Mid-Amateur, a quarterfinals appearance at the 2015 U.S. Mid-Amateur, a tie for second at the 2016 Texas Four-Ball and a top-15 performance at the 2014 Texas Mid-Amateur.
Founded in 1898, the Country Club of Birmingham boasts two magnificent 18-hole courses designed by Donald Ross. The USGA State Team will play the West Course, built in 1929. The course was remodeled in 1958 by Robert Trent Jones, Sr., and again in 1986 by Pete Dye. This will be the second USGA championship conducted on the West Course in three years following Mike McCoy’s victory in the 2013 U.S. Mid-Amateur.
The format for the Men’s State Team is three rounds of 18-hole stroke play, with the two lowest scores from each three-person team constituting the team score for each round. The three-day total is the team’s score for the championship.
The Men’s State Team, as well as the Women’s State Team, grew out of the USGA Centennial in 1995. USGA officials believed that a new championship, one in which each state, along with the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, could be represented by amateur, non-college golfers, was an appropriate way to cap their yearlong celebration. The competition proved to be such a success that it was agreed to continue to administer the championships every two years, in odd-numbered years.
After more than ten years of staging the championships concurrently, the decision was made in 2010 to conduct the competitions in alternate years, with the Men’s State Team Championship held in even years and the Women’s State Team in odd years.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post All 😃’s as Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball gets underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort Apple Rock! ⏰
ℹ️ More info: https://www.txga.org/tga-texas-four-ball-texas-golf-association-2021/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf Course. 10 Likes
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...