Robin Burke Inducted into Texas Golf Hall of Fame
SAN ANTONIO—Current U.S. Curtis Cup captain and two-time WTGA State Amateur Champion Robin Burke highlights the 2016 Texas Golf Hall of Fame Class, which was announced Wednesday.
Burke was inducted in the Amateur category, one of five classifications for induction. One of the best female amateur golfers in the state, she reached the finals of the 1997 U.S. Women’s Amateur and was a member of the USA Team in the 1998 U.S. Curtis Cup. Burke also made the semifinals of three U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateur Championships. She’s a two-time winner of the Women’s Southern Amateur and played multiple times for Texas on the USGA Women’s State Team.
Burke lives in Houston, where she is the Vice President of Champions Golf Club. She’s also the wife of 1979 Texas Golf Hall of Fame inductee Jackie Burke, Jr., who won the Masters and PGA Championship in 1956 before he co-founded Champions GC in Houston the next year.
Joining Burke in this year’s class is Memorial Park Golf Course, the crown jewel of public golf in Houston. With the induction, the 1936 John Bredemus-designed municipal course will be added to the Texas Registry of Historic Golf Courses. Over the years, Memorial Park has hosted 22 USGA and TGA Qualifier tournaments. The 2008 Texas Public Links Championship was played at Memorial Park, which also played host to the PGA Tour’s Houston Open in 1957 and 1951-63. The classic, tree-lined course is the current home of the Greater Houston City Amateur Championship.
The TGHOF Board of Directors conducted the annual statewide nomination process and voting for Texas’ highest golf honor. The inductees will be honored at the 2016 “Gathering of Eagles” golf tournament and induction dinner to be held on Oct. 10 at Brackenridge Park Golf Course and San Antonio Country Club, respectively. Sponsorships are now available with more information available on the website www.texasgolfhof.com.
The TGHOF resides at Brackenridge Park, both in the clubhouse, along the adjacent Walk of Fame and inside the historic Borglum Studio.
“We are certainly pleased to have such great Lone Star legends to enter the Texas Golf Hall of Fame for our class of 2016,” said TGHOF Board Chairman Jerry Smith. “It will be a great time to honor the best of the best in Texas golf for this year.”
In addition to the Burke and Memorial Park inductions, teaching professional Lindy Miller, who spent 22 years as the Director of Golf at Mira Vista Country Club in Fort Worth before moving across town to become an instructor at Shady Oaks in 2009, was inducted in the Golf Professional/Teacher category. Five-time PGA Tour winner and former University of Houston standout Blaine McCallister from Fort Stockton was inducted in the Professional Player category.
Longtime Texas golf course architect Joe Finger was inducted in the Lifetime Achievement category. Finger passed away in 2003. Among his many designs was a 1998 collaboration with Byron Nelson on Riverhill Country Club in Kerrville. His final work was a total renovation of Scott Schreiner Golf Club, also in Kerrville.
For more information on the Oct. 10 induction banquet and ceremonies along with sponsorships, contact TGHOF Managing Director Mary Carriker at [email protected]
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes