C.J. Brock Holds One-Shot Lead at Texas Mid-Amateur
BEE CAVE—C.J. Brock didn’t hesitate when asked about the key to the 3-under-par 68 he shot on Friday to lead the 2016 Texas Mid-Amateur Championship after one round at Spanish Oaks Golf Club.
“Patience,” said Brock, a 39-year-old partner of a Dallas-based marketing and advertising firm. “This is a plodder’s course. You have to be patient and think out there. This course will eat you alive in a second if you try to step on the gas.”
Brock said his methodical approach helped him stay in the fairway for most of the day. He missed just three fairways in regulation and never took more than two putts on any green. He leads six golfers by one shot headed into Saturday’s second of three rounds at one of the more challenging courses in Texas.
“I hit a great drive on my first hole and had 111 yards to the hole,” said Brock, who started on the 388-yard, par-4 10th. “I hit my approach over the green and made a bogey. Normally, that would get me hot under the collar. But I told myself to stay calm. It’s a long tournament, and I was bound to make a bogey somewhere.”
Brock, who played in the U.S. Mid-Amateur two weeks ago, shook off the shaky start and remained engaged. He hit driver, 3-wood to six feet on his second hole, which was the 505-yard, par-5 11th. When he rolled in the eagle putt, he felt rewarded by the self-control he exhibited after the hiccup a hole earlier.
Among those a shot back is San Antonio’s Colby Harwell, a 31-year-old realtor who won a USGA National Championship in 2014 as one-third of the U.S. State Team Championship squad. Harwell’s 2-under 69 came thanks in large part from one swing of his trusty pitching wedge. He aced the 154-yard, par-3 14th.
“I teed the ball up a little higher than usual to take a little spin off it,” Harwell said. “It landed five feet short and 10 feet to the right. It turned over and rolled right in the cup.”
Also one shot back is Josh Irving from Dallas. He’s the reigning Texas Player of the Year and also made it to the Quarterfinals of this month’s U.S. Mid-Amateur at Stonewall Links in Everson, Pa. After advancing through the 36-hole stroke play Qualifier at Stonewall Links, Irving proceeded to win three matches.
The others who shot 2-under 69 on Friday and trail Brock by one shot include Andrew Wyatt from Midland, J.J. Wall from San Antonio and Kevin Doskocil and Scott Volpitto from Fort Worth.
Three more players are just two shots back. Patrick Datz, a Spanish Oaks member from Austin, Christopher Wheeler from Addison and Rick Sulzer from Carrollton all posted 1-under 70s.
Playing at only 6,925 yards as a par-71 track, the breathtaking Spanish Oaks course packed plenty of bite against a field of the best mid-amateurs in the state. The collective scoring average was more than seven shots over par at 78.08. Ranked as the third best private course in Texas by Golf Digest, Spanish Oaks challenges golfers with a series of blind tee shots and forced carries over hazardous canyons and ravines.
Designed in 2001 by Bobby Weed, the PGA Tour’s former in-house architect, Spanish Oaks also features large, rolling greens. The TiffEagle Bermuda grass putting surfaces have the kind of subtle breaks and gentle slopes that take time and repetition to understand, let alone conquer.
While many players struggled to find a level of comfort on the Hill Country course, 10 percent of the field – 13 golfers – posted scores of even par or better. Ten mid-amateurs finished under par for the first round.
“If you stay between the thick stuff out here, you can score,” Wall said. “The course is in such good condition, especially the greens. You just have to stay out of trouble.”
The second round of the 2016 Texas Mid-Amateur begins Saturday at 8 a.m. For more information, including live scoring, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes