Inez Muhleman, USGA and TGA Volunteer, Passes Away at 95
Addison, Texas—Inez Muhleman spent a lifetime of service to golf and saw the game grow right before her eyes. Muhleman, 95, passed away on Wednesday morning from complications of lung cancer.
Muhleman, who was known as ‘Nez to her close friends, was born in Donalsonville, Ga. and attended Georgia Southwestern State University in Americas, Ga. After college, Muhleman taught for a little over two years before joining the military when World War II broke out. She was stationed at Fort Benjamin Harrison in Indiana, which is where she met her husband, Tom.
After the war Tom and ‘Nez settled down in Atlanta and joined Atlanta Country Club, which is where ‘Nez started getting involved in junior golf. Though she had been playing since she was 19, ‘Nez enjoyed giving back to the game that she enjoyed so much.
In 1970 Tom’s job, Gulf Oil, relocated him and ‘Nez to Houston, Texas from Atlanta and the two joined Riverbend Country Club in Sugar Land.
‘Nez began serving on the U.S. Girls’ Junior Committee, overseeing the U.S. Girls’ Junior sectional qualifiers, and served six years on the Women’s Texas Golf Association board, serving as President in 1982.
In 1986 Muhleman created the Girls’ Junior Travel Fund for Texas-based qualifiers. The fund began as a $250 donation of her own money and quickly grew into a fund that provided reimbursement for airfare and caddie fees to every Texas qualifier, which has helped more than 350 girls.
In 2011 she received the Joe Dey Award, which is an award presented by the United States Golf Association for meritorious service to the game as a volunteer. Muhleman accepted the award not just for herself, but for all the many, many volunteers throughout the country. ‘Nez estimated that she had put in 1,500 days of volunteer service when she received the award.
Muhleman attended every U.S. Girls’ Junior from 1980-2010. In her 31 year volunteer career she watched and helped numerous golfers go on to success in her favorite sport. Golfers like Kellie Kuehne, 1994 U.S. Girls’ Junior champion, Brittany Lang, Stacy Lewis, Angela Stanford and Wendy Ward were all helped by Muhleman on their way to the LPGA Tour.
In 2008, the WTGA created a scholarship program to raise funds to ensure the investment in young women continued for many years to come. The scholarship was named for ‘Nez Muhleman and Doris Kallina, two women who have given their time, energy and resources to promote women’s golf in Texas.
Muhleman stayed active around the Houston area in recent years, attending several USGA qualifiers and Legends Junior Tour Texas Girls’ Invitationals, which awards its winner with the ‘Nez Muhleman Trophy.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes