Lee's 5-under 67 Leads North Texas Classic
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas – Mission’s Jun Min Lee fired a bogey-free, 5-under-par 67 in Saturday’;s opening round of the North Texas Classic to lead the Boys 15-18 division. Cole Sherwood and Lucas Borrero are tied at 73 to lead the Boys 14 & Under division at Tangle Ridge Golf Club. Serena Shah and Kaylee Vesely lead the girls division at even-par 72 heading into Sunday’s final round.
The second annual North Texas Classic is being held at Tangle Ridge Golf Club in Grand Prairie, Texas for the second consecutive year. The Legends Junior Tour’s last ‘open’ event of the 2016 season, the North Texas Classic provides one of the last chances for players to earn valuable points towards the LJT Player of the Year, which is how players are chosen for the year-end Jackie Burke Cup.
Lee, who played in last year’s Jackie Burke Cup for the first time, started on the par-4 10th hole. He birdied the short, par-4 11th, and then had six straight pars before making a birdie on the par-5 18th hole. He then had three birdies in a six-hole stretch between holes four through eight to get to 5-under for the day. Lee leads by two shots heading into Sunday’s final round.
Hideaway’s Evan White, two shots back of Lee, was 1-over par on his front nine, but turned it around on his back nine. White birdied the difficult par-4 first hole, his 10th of the day. That got him rolling, making three more birdies on his back side to close at 69. Richardson’s Tommy Boone, McKinney’s Jc Wigglesworth, and Irving’s Forrest Park sit in a tie for third place after 2-uner 70’s, three shots back of Lee.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Sherwood, currently sitting in fifth place on the LJT Points List, and Borrero, currently in second place, are fighting for that second spot on the South team for the Jackie Burke Cup. They are tied atop the leaderboard with 1-over 73s. Sherwood carded four birdies while Borrero carded three.
Vishnu Sadagopan, the current LJT Points List leader, and Knox Wagoner sit in a tie for third place, just one shot back of the leaders. Prayaag Oruganti, Andrew Spaulding and Stephen Campbell, Jr. sit in a tie for fifth place.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Carrollton’s Shah and Austin’s Vesely hold a slim lead of one shot heading into the final round at Tangle Ridge Golf Club. Shah had seven straight pars before a birdie. She carded one more birdie in her round to get to even-par 72. Vesely needed three birdies against three bogeys for her 72.
Plano’s Malena Barrientos sits in third place, just one shot back after a 1-over 73. She played a very steady round, carding one birdie against two bogeys. Kennedy Pedigo and Brooke Morales sit in a tie for fourth place after the first round.
Tee times for the final round are scheduled to begin at 8:00 AM off the first and 10th tees Sunday morning. For more information on the Legends Junior Tour or the North Texas Classic, please visit www.TXGA.org.
Full first round results can be found by clicking here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes