Lee, Shah and Sherwood Win North Texas Classic
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas – Jun Min Lee’s final round of the North Texas Classic was more of a victory lap than a final round. Lee started the day two shots ahead of the closest competitor, but that was quickly became six when Lee birdied four of his first six holes, getting him to 9-under for the tournament through 23 holes. He finished at 9-under 135 for the tournament, winning by five shots at Tangle Ridge Golf Club.
Austin’s Cole Sherwood carded a final round, 1-under 71 to win the Boys 14 & Under division at even-par 144 for the tournament. Carrollton’s Serena Shah captured the Girls 12-18 division by one shot at 1-over par 145 for the tournament.
Conducted by the Legends Junior Tour, the second annual North Texas Classic was held at Tangle Ridge Golf Club in Grand Prairie, Texas for the second consecutive year. The Legends Junior Tour’s last ‘open’ event of the 2016 season, the North Texas Classic provided one of the last chances for players to earn valuable points towards the LJT Player of the Year, which is how players are chosen for the year-end Jackie Burke Cup.
Lee continued his momentum from Saturday’s first round, where he didn’t have a bogey on his scorecard. He played his first 13 holes on Sunday bogey-free before failing to get up and down on the short par-4 14th hole. His first bogey of the day was quickly covered up with a birdie on the par-4 16th hole. He failed to get up-and-down again on the par-3 17th hole, but by then, it did not matter.
Lee won by five shots over Mansfield’s Landon Ernst. Ernst carded a final round 3-under 69 to climb into second place, moving up four spots. Defending Texas Cup Invitational Champion Brendan Powers, Granbury’s Tucker Allen, and Austin’s Hanseung Chang finished in a tie for third place. Powers and Chang carded 4-under 68s in the final round while Allen carded a 3-under 69.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Sherwood was tied with Lucas Borrero after the first round. The division started on the 10th hole, and both players bogeyed the opening hole. Sherwood birdied the ensuing hole, the short par-4 11th. Sherwood’s day was back-and-forth, carding five bogeys against four birdies. He won by two shots over Borrero. San Antonio’s Shoichiro Kato finished in third place five shots back of Sherwood.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Shah captured her first Legends Junior Tour victory. She outlasted Austin’s Kaylee Vesely coming down to the last few holes. Both players bogeyed the difficult par-4 seventh hole, their 16th of the day. Shah maintained her two shot lead heading into the par-5 eighth hole. Vesely birdied the hole to get to one shot back heading to the final hole. Vesely was unable to birdie the hole and they both walked away with par, Shah winning by one shot.
Fort Worth’s Kennedy Pedigo finished in third place after a final round, 2-over 74. Plano’s Melena Barrientos finished in fourth place, four shots back of Shah. Gabriella Tomanka, the Girls 14 & Under Texas State Junior Champion finished in a fifth place.
The Legends Junior Tour’s final individual stroke-play tournament of the year is the Texas Cup Invitational, Nov. 5-6 at Mira Vista Country Club. The following weekend, Nov. 12-13 Escondido Golf & Lake Club will host the year-end Jackie Burke Cup matches.
For more information on the Legends Junior Tour or the second annual North Texas Classic, please visit www.TXGA.org.
For final results, please click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes