Godoy and Martinez Selected to Captain for the Jackie Burke Cup
Addison—The Legends Junior Tour announces Dennis Godoy and William Martinez as the captains for the 12th annual Jackie Burke Cup. The two former LJT players competed in seven Jackie Burke Cups in their junior golf careers. Godoy will be captaining the two-time defending champion North team, while Martinez will captain the South team. This year’s event will be held at Escondido Golf & Lake Club on Nov. 12-13.
Modeled after the Ryder Cup, the Jackie Burke Cup features 12 players from North Texas competing against 12 players from South Texas in three forms of play: Four-Ball, Foursomes and Singles. Much like the Ryder Cup, players earn their way onto their respective Jackie Burke Cup teams by virtue of their play throughout the year on the Legends Junior Tour and the Texas Junior Golf Alliance.
Godoy played in 51 Legends Junior Tour events before going to college at Arkansas Tech, winning the 2010 Alamo Shootout, the 2011 Four-Ball and the 2013 Winter Classic. In 2013 the Hideaway native received the LJT’s James A. Ragan Sportsmanship Award, which is given to the player on tour that displays respect and graciousness to others. Godoy competed in four Jackie Burke Cups from 2010-13, compiling a match record of 5-6-1. Godoy is currently enrolled at the University of Texas at Tyler, where he plays golf and is earning a degree in Criminal Justice.
“My favorite moment of the Jackie Burke Cup was when I was part of the winning team at Comanche Trace,” said Godoy, “I have always thought it would be an honor to be captain for the Jackie Burke Cup, the Legends Junior Tour did a lot for me and it really made an impact on my life with all the friends and people I came in contact with.”
Martinez, who is from Austin, competed in three Jackie Burke Cups in his LJT career, helping the South team win in 2010 at Bent Tree Country Club and again at UT Golf Club in 2012. Martinez played in 31 LJT events throughout his junior career, winning the 2010 Hill Country Shootout and the 2010 Texas State Junior Championship. Martinez finished ninth at the 2013 Byron Nelson Junior Championship and posted a 1-7-1 record in Jackie Burke Cup matches. Following a two month, 34 state road trip, Martinez enrolled at the University of Texas in Austin and is graduating this spring with a degree in English and Advertising.
“Playing all the events as a junior really shaped me at that age and helped me form relationships that I’ll keep for the rest of my life,” answered Martinez about being captain of the South team. “Have fun! You’ve all had to play well to make it here, just keep doing your thing and it’s going to be a blast.”
Godoy and Martinez faced off in three different cups from 2010-2012. The south won two of the three matchups, but Godoy is 2-0 heads up against Martinez in those three years. The two former players square off as captains in the Jackie Burke Cup for the first time.
“Playing in the Jackie Burke Cup helped me enjoy the experience of working together toward something and bring a team aspect that is unique to our game,” said Martinez.
The North team is coming off a 26-22 win over the South team at Brook Hollow Country Club last year. Led by the Boys 15-18, Boys 14 & Under and Girls 12-18 Player of the Years, the North team pulled ahead by winning six of 12 singles matches on Sunday. Despite losing the cup the last two years, the South still leads the overall series 7-4.
“It’s time to reflect on your accomplishments and compete for your region of Texas,” advises Godoy, “Each and every player deserves to be in this cup and they just need to go out and have fun.”
This year’s Jackie Burke Cup is being played at Escondido Golf & Lake Club in Horseshoe Bay, Texas. Escondido sits in the picturesque Texas Hill Country overlooking Lake LBJ. The Tom Fazio-designed course has hosted three Texas Golf Association championships including the 2010 Texas Shootout, which is the same format as the Jackie Burke Cup. Ranked No. 7 by the Dallas Morning News and No. 9 by Golfweek, Escondido will serve as a tough test for the best players on tour in 2016.
As part of the event, an awards dinner will be held at which the Players of the Year, Sportsman of the Year, and Volunteer of the Year will be honored. Previous host sites for this event include Whispering Pines GC, Spanish Oaks GC, Miramont CC, Champions GC and Brook Hollow CC.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes