Grider and Cox Tied For Texas Cup Lead
Fort Worth—Ryan Grider and Kyle Cox are tied atop the leaderboard of the 12th annual Texas Cup Invitational. Mira Vista Country Club is hosting the Texas Cup for the fourth straight year.
Lewisville’s Grider posted a bogey-free round of 4-under 67 on Saturday, making birdie on back-to-back holes to start his day. Grider, who started on hole No. 10, made 12 straight pars after his opening birdies before making another birdie on the 618-yard sixth hole. A birdie on the ninth hole capped the former Boys 15-18 Player of the Year’s day.
“I’m hitting the ball very well right now,” said Grider after his opening round. “I’d like to do better on getting my putts to the hole on Sunday.”
Carrollton’s Cox played in the final group off the No. 10 tee in the first round. Cox made the turn at 3-under after making birdie on holes 16 and 17. A bogey on the par-4 fourth hole dropped Cox back to 2-under on the day, but two birdies in his final four holes got him back to 4-under overall.
“Everything went well for me today and the birdie on six was a big momentum booster to finish my round,” said Cox.
Playing with Grider and Cox in the final round will be Parker Coody, who entered the Texas Cup as the leader in the Player of the Year Points List in the Boys 15-18 Division. The Plano native posted a score of 2-under 69 in the first round, making four birdies and two bogeys.
Austin’s Michael Anthony Rome was the fourth player in red figures on Saturday. Rome will play in the penultimate pairing on Sunday with Dallas’ Turner Hosch and Austin’s Matthew Denton. Hosch and Denton each shot even-par in the first round and are tied for fifth with Fort Worth’s Chris Berzina and San Angelo’s Jeffrey Maciejewski.
Brandon Massey, Tommy Boone, Scott Roden, Shuai Ming Wong, Hanseung Chang, Nate Plaster, Pierceson Coody, Dawson Ovard, Landon Ernst and Reid Davenport are all tied for ninth at 1-over 72.
Tee times for the final round of the Texas Cup will begin at 8:30 AM on Nov. 6. Players will go off the Nos. 1 & 10 tees until 10:30 AM. To see all the tee times for Sunday, click here.
Mira Vista Country Club has hosted this event the past four years. The course opened in 1987 and was designed by Tom Weiskopf and Jay Morrish. It has hosted the 1994 Texas Amateur and the 2000 Texas Mid-Am along with the 2012 Byron Nelson Junior Championship.
The LJT took over the Texas Cup Invitational in 2008 and has seen the tournament’s field strength grow each year. The field strength has been near the top of the Golfweek rankings each of the last four years, ranking 30th in 2012, 34th in 2013 and 23rd in 2014 and 27th last year.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes