Lee, Jones, Weibel Capture Winter Classic
DALLAS – Jun Min Lee of Mission staved off the sustained 25 mph winds Sunday afternoon to capture the Legends Junior Tour season-opening Winter Classic. Dallas’ Hudson Weibel won the Boys 14 & Under division by six strokes at Dallas Athletic Club’s Blue Course. DAC’s own Hailey Jones captured the Girls 12-18 division for the second year in a row.
This was the ninth consecutive year Dallas Athletic Club has hosted the Winter Classic, all nine on Jack Nicklaus’ signature Blue Course. The Winter Classic was the first event on the LJT schedule for the third season in a row. The Boys 15-18 division played the par-72 course at 6,779 yards, the Boys 14 & Under at 6,160 yards and the Girls 12-18 division at 5,812 yards.
Lee, who won the 2016 North Texas Classic, led by one stroke heading into the final round, and increased that lead after the first hole. His birdie put him at 4-under for the tournament, but it was a struggle to maintain that score in the conditions. A steady 25 mph wind with gusts up to 45 mph proved to challenge the field. Conditions increased the scoring average from 77.2 to 80.4 in the Boys 15-18 division.
“I had fun out there today,” Lee said. “It’s not every day that you get to play in conditions like this. I get to pay in this wind occasionally coming from where I live, but this was tough, while fun.”
Lee shot a final round 3-over 75 for an even-par 144 tournament total. He finished two shots ahead of Spring’s Zakary Jones, who shot a final-round 4-over 76. DAC’s own Holden Wisener finished in third place, five shots back of Lee. William Moll fired the score of the day to finish in a tie for fourth. He carded a 2-under 70, the lowest score by four shots Sunday. He finished tied for fourth with Justin Thompson and Tommy Boone.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Weibel, captured his first victory Sunday afternoon. He led by four shots heading into the final round, and won by six. His final round 3-over 75 was tied for the best score of the day in the division. Weibel carded two birdies in the tough conditions as well.
Minas Manias of Frisco, finished in second place, with a 153 tournament total. Temple’s Dallas Hankamer finished in solo third place, one shot behind Manias. Jack Watson and Jack Summers finished tied for fourth.
In the Girls 12-18, Jones, the back-to-back reigning Girls LJT Player of the Year, started her round with relative ease. She was even-par for the day through her 13th hole, the fourth, but struggled coming down the stretch, finishing with an 8-over-par 80 and 4-over 148 tournament total. She held off Libby Winans, though, by two shots.
Winans finished in second, followed by Kaylee Vesely of Austin. Vesely shot one of the only two rounds in the 70’s in the Girls 12-18 division. Grace Do finished in fourth, followed by Chandler Rosholt in fifth.
The Legends Junior Tour will host its second event of 2017 at Corpus Christi Country Club for the James A. Ragan Memorial. The tournament will be February 19-20. For more information on the Legends Junior Tour, please visit www.TXGA.org.
For the Winter Classic Final Results, please click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes