Teichman, Winans, Spaudling Capture Third James A. Ragan Memorial
CORPUS CHRISTI – Corpus Christi native Billy Teichman fired a final-round 66 to win the James A. Ragan Memorial on his home course, Corpus Christi Country Club. Richardson’s Libby Winans won the Girls 12-18 division and Matthew Spaulding of Spring won the Boys 14 & Under division Monday afternoon.
James Ragan was a former Legends Junior Tour Player that was diagnosed with osteosarcoma when he was 13 years old. Ragan started playing on tour in 2008 and recorded three top-25 finishes in his LJT career. The Corpus Christi native was a member at Corpus Christi Country Club and was the 2009 Junior Club Champion.
The Legends Junior Tour has conducted the James A. Ragan Memorial since 2015, after it was approached by the Ragan family and asked to hold a tournament in James’ honor.
“James loved golf, even though it was his second love, he loved golf and playing in the Legends Junior Tour events,” Mecklin Ragan, James’ sister said. “The relationships that James made on the golf course he cherished and he would love us having an event here at Corpus Christi.
“James would be excited to see other young golfers making the most of their talents and time and working harder to be better golfers and members of their community.”
Teichman, a three-time club champion at Corpus Christi CC, shot a bogey-free 5-under 66 in wet, soggy conditions. Heading into the final round trailing the leaders by one stroke, Teichman played steady and consistent golf, knowing he knew the course better than anyone in the field. He took that knowledge and turned it into a four-shot victory Monday afternoon.
Winning this event at his home club means a lot to him.
“Just winning this tournament with James’ name on it is special,” Teichman said. “Obviously James was a lot older than me, but I knew him growing up. He would talk to everyone at the club and everyone knew who he was. It means a lot to me to win this event here in Corpus, especially at my home course and with the whole Ragan family and several TOKC people out here watching.”
Teichman won by four shots over Trenton Leffingwell of New Braunfels. Leffingwell carded rounds of 70-71 for a 1-under 141 tournament total. Granbury’s Jake Holbrook finished in third place after a final round 3-under 68. John Keefer of San Antonio finished in fourth place, six shots back of Teichman, and Tucker Allen finished in fifth place.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Winans captured her first LJT victory. Coming off a second place finish at the Winter Classic in January, Winans carded a final-round 72 to win by two strokes. Starting on the difficult par-4 10th, she made a bogey, but quickly gained her momentum back with a birdie on the par-5 11th. She had a three more bogeys and two more birdies, but it was the birdie on the seventh hole, her 16th of the day that gave her enough to get the win.
She won by two strokes over Kennedy Pedigo of Fort Worth. Pedigo carded a final round 1-over 72 as well, but just couldn’t make up the difference from Sunday’s first round. Zoe Slaughter finished in third place after a 2-over 73 in Monday’s final round. Sara Camarena finished in fourth, while Bentley Cotton finished in fifth place.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Spaulding carded the low round of the division to edge out Shoichiro Kato by one shot. Spaulding’s 4-under 67 included five birdies, including three in a five-hole stretch. His back nine 34 was enough to get him his first LJT victory.
Kato finished in solo second place, one shot back. Matthew Spaulding’s twin brother, Andrew finished in third place, five shots back of his brother. Hudson Weibel and Connor Adams finished in a tie for fourth place.
The Legends Junior Tour would like to thank Corpus Christi Country Club, its members, and staff for hosting the James A. Ragan Memorial. The Tour would also like to thank the Triumph Over Kid Cancer Foundation, founded by James and Mecklin Ragan, for supporting the tournament, and supplying over 40 volunteers for the tournament.
For final results, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes