Sanders and Sanchez Lead 2017 South Four-Ball
MONTGOMERY – Joe Sanders and Ed Sanchez lead the 2017 Texas Golf Association South Four-Ball presented by Impact Precision Golf after firing an opening round 66. The duo sits at 6-under par and holds a one stroke lead over a crowded leaderboard. The first event of the 2017 South Regional Series is being contested on the Weiskopf Course at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club, in Montgomery.
Sanders, of Austin, and Sanchez, of San Antonio, started off steady with a par on their opening hole, the par four 10th. After a birdie on the par five 11th, the duo carded seven pars in a row on their way to a 1-under par 35 for their opening nine. They would continue their steady play with three more pars to start their second nine. The momentum shifted in their favor when Sanchez, the 2013 South Mid-Amateur Champion, made back to back birdies on the par four fourth and the par four fifth. Sanders added to the tally and recorded an eagle on the par five seventh. The team finished strong with another Sanders’ birdie on the par four ninth. Their 6-under par score of 66 was good enough for a one stroke lead over a crowded leaderboard with twelve teams within four strokes of the lead.
Sitting at one stroke back are the teams of Schroeder / Hochauser and Booker / Kaplan. Five teams sit in a tie for fourth at 3-under par and three strokes back of the leaders for the Championship.
Montgomery’s Grant Schroeder and Sam Hochhauser carded three birdies during their opening nine, on their way to a 3-under par 33. Schroeder and Hochhauser traded birdies on the par four 13th and the par four 18th respectively to finish with a first round total of 5-under par 67. They will play in the final pairing tomorrow morning at 9:30 am with Sanders and Sanchez.
Mike Booker and Justin Kaplan, of Houston, got off to a fast start with an opening birdie from Kaplan on the par four first. Booker, the 2015 Texas Senior Amateur Champion, carded his lone birdie of the day on the par four fourth. Kaplan, the 2015 Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Champion, carded two more birdies on the opening nine and another birdie on the par four 12th, on their way to a 5-under par round of 67.
Paired in the penultimate group with Booker and Kaplan is the team of Cory Wells, of Conroe, and Clayton Jeffirs, of Humble. Wells and Jeffirs sit in a five way tie for fourth place at 3-under par. Included in that tie is the team of Tony Soerries, of Montgomery, and Graham Lynch, of Magnolia. Soerries, a member at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club is also the 2013 South Amateur and the 2014 South Mid-Amateur Champion.
The final round has the makings of an exciting finish and will begin Sunday at 8:00 am off of holes #1 and #10 on the Weiskopf Course at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club and the leaders scheduled to tee off at 9:30 am. For more information on the 2017 South Four-Ball presented by Impact Precision Golf, including full scoring, please click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes