Murray Heads USGA Women's Comm, Javors Honored
Two longtime Texas amateur golf volunteers were honored recently at the 2017 USGA Annual Meeting. Richardson’s Pam Murray, a past WTGA President and Director, was appointed Chairman of the USGA Women’s Committee, which advises the USGA Executive Committee on all matters pertaining to women’s golf. In addition, San Antonio’s Marty Javors received the Ike Grainger Award for 25 years of volunteer service.
Murray is the first Texan to hold the country’s most important position in women’s amateur golf since Fort Worth’s Marty Leonard oversaw the USGA Women’s Committee in 1985.
“This is a wonderful opportunity and a chance to give back to the game we all love,” said Murray, who was the WTGA President in 2007-08 and a Director from 2002-11. “I look forward to working with all the State and Regional Golf Associations – especially the TGA – as well as the NCAA and USGA in growing and sustaining the game not only for women and girls, but the junior golfer, mid-am golfer and the senior golfer.”
A 13-time club champion at Canyon Creek Country Club in Richardson, Murray retired as a school teacher in the Dallas Independent School District in 2002. She turned to volunteerism and wanted to give back to the game that provided so many special memories for her and her family. Murray’s father and two brothers introduced her to the game at a young age.
Murray began serving on the USGA Women’s Committee in 2007. She chaired the U.S. Women’s Amateur Public Links Committee in 2013-14. She also chaired the inaugural U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Committee in 2014-15 and was the Vice Chairman of the USGA Women’s Committee until her appointment to Chairman in February.
“My mission is to grow and promote the game of golf, especially women’s golf,” she said. “I will say if it wasn’t for my time with the WTGA, I would not be where I am today.”
Kelly Kilgo, the former WTGA Executive Director who now serves as the TGA’s Senior Director of Membership Services and Course Rating, said everyone invested in women’s golf should be excited about Murray’s appointment.
“She was a great mentor to me and still is,” Kilgo said. “I’m lucky to call Pam my friend. I know she will be the same distinguished leader for the USGA Women’s Committee as she was for the WTGA.”
Javors, for his part, began volunteering for the USGA in the San Antonio area in 1984. Since then, he’s been become a veteran Rules Official, having run San Antonio’s U.S. Amateur qualifying tournaments since 1986. Javors has been a USGA Committee Member since the early 1990s; he has served on Regional Affairs and Junior Amateur Championship Committees.
The Ike Grainer Award he received was established in 1995 as part of the USGA’s Centennial Celebration and honors volunteers who have provided 25 years of service to the association. Grainger served on the USGA Executive Committee and was the USGA President in 1954-55.
Javors said working as a referee at some 35 national championships, including the Women’s Mid-Amateur, U.S. Amateur and Senior Opens, has enriched his life.
“I’ve met so many wonderful people who volunteer time to give back to the game of golf and who have become good friends,” he said. “This award is a reminder that I’ve gotten more out of volunteering for the USGA than I’ve given.”
Kyle Nuss, the USGA Director of Regional Affairs – South, said Javors has been an integral part of the golf community in San Antonio.
“During that time, Marty conducted local qualifying for the U.S. Open and sectional qualifying for the U.S. Amateur championships on behalf of the USGA,” Nuss said. “Marty has also played a key role in the administration of the San Antonio Open, which raises funds and awareness for the Texas Research Society on Alcoholism. He has selflessly given back to the game and his actions personify what the Ike Grainger Award is all about.”
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes