Murray Heads USGA Women's Comm, Javors Honored
Two longtime Texas amateur golf volunteers were honored recently at the 2017 USGA Annual Meeting. Richardson’s Pam Murray, a past WTGA President and Director, was appointed Chairman of the USGA Women’s Committee, which advises the USGA Executive Committee on all matters pertaining to women’s golf. In addition, San Antonio’s Marty Javors received the Ike Grainger Award for 25 years of volunteer service.
Murray is the first Texan to hold the country’s most important position in women’s amateur golf since Fort Worth’s Marty Leonard oversaw the USGA Women’s Committee in 1985.
“This is a wonderful opportunity and a chance to give back to the game we all love,” said Murray, who was the WTGA President in 2007-08 and a Director from 2002-11. “I look forward to working with all the State and Regional Golf Associations – especially the TGA – as well as the NCAA and USGA in growing and sustaining the game not only for women and girls, but the junior golfer, mid-am golfer and the senior golfer.”
A 13-time club champion at Canyon Creek Country Club in Richardson, Murray retired as a school teacher in the Dallas Independent School District in 2002. She turned to volunteerism and wanted to give back to the game that provided so many special memories for her and her family. Murray’s father and two brothers introduced her to the game at a young age.
Murray began serving on the USGA Women’s Committee in 2007. She chaired the U.S. Women’s Amateur Public Links Committee in 2013-14. She also chaired the inaugural U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Committee in 2014-15 and was the Vice Chairman of the USGA Women’s Committee until her appointment to Chairman in February.
“My mission is to grow and promote the game of golf, especially women’s golf,” she said. “I will say if it wasn’t for my time with the WTGA, I would not be where I am today.”
Kelly Kilgo, the former WTGA Executive Director who now serves as the TGA’s Senior Director of Membership Services and Course Rating, said everyone invested in women’s golf should be excited about Murray’s appointment.
“She was a great mentor to me and still is,” Kilgo said. “I’m lucky to call Pam my friend. I know she will be the same distinguished leader for the USGA Women’s Committee as she was for the WTGA.”
Javors, for his part, began volunteering for the USGA in the San Antonio area in 1984. Since then, he’s been become a veteran Rules Official, having run San Antonio’s U.S. Amateur qualifying tournaments since 1986. Javors has been a USGA Committee Member since the early 1990s; he has served on Regional Affairs and Junior Amateur Championship Committees.
The Ike Grainer Award he received was established in 1995 as part of the USGA’s Centennial Celebration and honors volunteers who have provided 25 years of service to the association. Grainger served on the USGA Executive Committee and was the USGA President in 1954-55.
Javors said working as a referee at some 35 national championships, including the Women’s Mid-Amateur, U.S. Amateur and Senior Opens, has enriched his life.
“I’ve met so many wonderful people who volunteer time to give back to the game of golf and who have become good friends,” he said. “This award is a reminder that I’ve gotten more out of volunteering for the USGA than I’ve given.”
Kyle Nuss, the USGA Director of Regional Affairs – South, said Javors has been an integral part of the golf community in San Antonio.
“During that time, Marty conducted local qualifying for the U.S. Open and sectional qualifying for the U.S. Amateur championships on behalf of the USGA,” Nuss said. “Marty has also played a key role in the administration of the San Antonio Open, which raises funds and awareness for the Texas Research Society on Alcoholism. He has selflessly given back to the game and his actions personify what the Ike Grainger Award is all about.”
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Craig Hurlbert Leads 83rd Texas Senior Amateur through 36 Holes
WACO – Craig Hurlbert from Magnolia is 18 holes away from his fifth amateur victory of the year. He says the key for him to win the 83rd Texas Senior ... 8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Hurlbert, Smith Tied for 83rd Texas Senior Amateur Lead
WACO – Only two players broke par at venerable Ridgewood Country Club on Friday during the first round of the 83rd Texas Senior Amateur. Craig Hurlbert from Magnolia and Houston’s Scott ... 4 Likes
- Round 1 of the 83rd #TexasSeniorAm is underway at Ridgewood Country Club. Follow your favorite senior amateurs' progress with our live, hole-by-hole scoring: https://t.co/XasNhndFBa 1 CommentsEllen Bordelon Derrick Don Bord here is where you can follow the scores!4 Likes
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes