TGA Foundation's Winners' Program Celebrates 10th Anniversary
In 2008, the Women’s Texas Golf Association launched the Winners’ Program as part of several new initiatives to reach girls through golf. Now a part of the Texas Golf Association and TGA Foundation’s Women’s Initiatives, the Winners’ Program, celebrates its 10th anniversary. The program serves as an introduction to golf for grade school-aged girls and works as an instrument to encourage them to excel academically, too. Girls are urged to make good grades and turn in report cards throughout the year. The Winners’ Program awards a technology gift, such as iPads, to the elected scholar at each of the six statewide LPGA/USGA Girls Golf sites.
During the past decade, about 1,800 young girls across Texas have been impacted by the Winners’ Program, which also has invested more than $100,000 in the program and worthy recipients. Each year, TGA staff members and volunteers visit sites in Austin, Dallas, Houston, Longview, San Antonio and Waco to interact with young girls. The goal is to inspire them to work hard in school, while at the same time providing hands-on education and instruction to make golf a part of their lives.
“The importance of providing opportunities for the next generation of golfers should be tantamount by all who love this game,” said Marlene Summers, a former WTGA Director from Montgomery who led the program for several years. “The integrity, etiquette, social, physical and mental skills taught in the Winners’ Program are byproducts of the core values learned from the game of golf. I’m not sure of a better way to impact the next generation.”
In addition to encouraging academic competitiveness with prizes for top students, playing golf also is a major component of the Winners’ Program. The Texas Challenge is annual statewide competition between selected chapters of the Winners’ Program sites. The competition honors the late Toni Wiesner by awarding the Toni Wiesner Cup to the Texas Challenge’s winning site. Wiesner, a longtime friend to Women’s Golf in Texas and five-time winner of the WTGA State Amateur, passed away in 2009. One of the state’s best examples of positivity and strong character, Wiesner left behind a legacy of class and competitive spirit.
“Toni was a member of the USGA Junior Golf Committee and loved to give back to the game,” said Katie O’Donnell, the TGA’s Director of Women’s Operations. “She was a mentor and role model for so many women in Texas. She embodied so many of the traits we try to instill in young girls through the Winners’ Program.”
This year, the TGA plans to visit all six Winners’ Program sites. They’ll engage with girls in fun games and golf matches, while at the same time educate them about the golf-and-grades initiatives.
“In 10 years, we've met so many great kids along with dedicated coaches and parents,” said Susan Knox, a TGA Director, Past WTGA President and creator of the Winners’ Program. “I get so excited just thinking about what these girls can accomplish. If we’re encouraging these girls to dream and never give up on that dream, we’re doing our part – not only for golf, but for humanity.”
To learn more about the Winners’ Program and how you can help, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes