Kuwitzky, Jones, Momin Win Jimmy Demaret JC
SPICEWOOD, Texas – Jake Kuwitzy, Madelyn Jones and Shaheen Momin all came away victorious Friday afternoon at the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic, all capturing victories for the first time on the Legends Junior Tour. McKinney’s Kuwitzky captured his first Legends Junior Tour victory in the Boys 15-18 division after carding a 3-under 68 at Lakecliff Country Club.
Austin’s Jones capped off an impressive tournament Friday, carding a 1-under 70 to win by two strokes. Sugarland’s Momin won the Boys 14 & Under division with an even-par 71 in the final round.
Conducted by the Legends Junior Tour, the ninth annual Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic featured 84 players from across Texas, playing the Arnold Palmer designed Lakecliff Country Club in Spicewood, Texas. Nestled in Texas’ hill country along Lake Travis, Lakecliff features wide fairways with bent grass greens, allowing players numerous scoring opportunities. The Boys 15-18 division played 6,676 yards, the Boys 14 & Under division played 6,157 yards and all girls played 5,888 yards.
Kuwitzky, who played earlier in the week at the Collegiate Preview and finished tied for 12th, started out hot, carding birdies on two of his first four holes. He had three more birdies throughout his round, but a double bogey on the short par-3, 17th hole allowed players to get back in the tournament. He calmly made a par on the 462-yard par-4 18th hole to secure his one-shot victory.
Mission’s Jun Min Lee finished in second place after a 2-under 96 Friday. The two were tied for the lead with Tucker Allen and Garrett Martin after Thursday’s first round. Allen finished in a tie for fourth with Mark Reppe, four shots back. Brandon Hoff, the 2016 champion of the event, had the round of the day, 5-under 66, which vaulted him all the way into third place.
Vishnu Sadagopan, Damin Strydom and Brendan Powers finished tied for sixth at 3-under 139. Jansen Smith, Ben Dunne and Garrett Martin finished tied for ninth at 2-under 140.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Jones had a rough start to her second round, making a bogey on the difficult, into-the-wind, par-4 10th hole. She got the stroke back on the par-5 13th, making a birdie. She had three birdies on her back nine, holding off all chasers. Those three birdies on holes two, four and five gave her cushion and finished a 6-under 136 for the tournament.
She held off reigning two-time LJT Girls Player of the Year Hailey Jones Friday afternoon. Jones carded a second 2-under 69 for a 4-under 138 tournament total. Kingwood’s Jackie Barry, co-leader with Madelyn after Thursday’s first round, finished in third after a 3-over 74 in the second round. Zoe Slaughter and Sara Camarena finished tied for fourth.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Momin, 13, cruised to a three shot victory. He carded a bogey on his first hole, but remained steady, carding eight straight pars. He then birdied three of his first four holes on his back nine, Lakecliff’s easier front nine to put the competitors in his rearview mirror for good.
Momin’s three-shot victory was over Shoichiro Kato, of San Antonio. Kato played consistently, shooting 70-70 for a 2-under 142 tournament total. Lubbock’s Eli Tran finished in third place, six shots back of Momin. Andrew Spaulding carded a 1-under 70 Friday to vault himself into a fourth place finish. Truett Burns rounded out the top five.
The Legends Junior Tour would like to thank Lakecliff Country Club for hosting the ninth annual Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic. For more information on the tournament or the Legends Junior Tour, please click here.
For full results, please click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes